• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any use Lotus Notes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used it once, 1996 I think.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use it all day every day for my email client plus several other applications (forms) fronting other databases. I've never needed killnotes.exe and every client upgrade (since v6) has gone like a charm.

I don't know what you lot are moaning about. As for changing to Outlook, well flabber me ghast!

I do admit though that a problem with Notes is finding the right buttons and menu options. It's all in there, but you have to use the (good) help system to find it.

Oh, I'll also admit that Team Rooms are tulipe.

I think Notes might best be described as "Groupware" as it's far more than just an email client.

Comment

Notes always felt 'unfinished' to me, like a beta release.

I also thought it strange to name the server component 'Domino'; an item synonymous with 'falling over'.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Two clients over here have used it, including current one. Horrendous.

Only good thing is an app called Awesync which syncs from Notes to my Google account and subsequently my Android phone. The app runs from a memory stick which is great because ClientCo PCs are locked down.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            Started at a place that uses Lotus Notes 8.5.

Wow. Just wow. It's like something from the 90s.

Slow as hell. Terrible user interface. Slow. Loads of functionality just not there. Slow. Loads of useless functionality including. Slow.
            Is your client a a call centre? LN seems to be still popular in call centre, mainly because they are run by computer illitterate managers.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            Did a search on 'speeding up Lotus notes' and found some random blogs blog tips which worked a bit... but nothing from IBM.

Has anyone ever had to use this amazing software?
            You can't make wine out of betroot juice but you can disable some functionalities. Assuming it's installed in C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes, there should be two binaries, one is the fat binary with Java support, the other one (I think it's called nlnotes.exe) is the basic client. Or click start > run > nlnotes.exe .
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Last client used it. Awful product.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A complete basket case of a product and one that I use on the majority of gigs.

Notes tends to be in large scale organisations that have had at one point (or still have) an IBM mainframe. I don't think many places would go out and buy it on their own but it was easy for IBM to slip the stinking pile of monkey shit: in when pitching new mainframes to the client.

Notes, IE6, shit: code & crap staff tend to flock together I find.

Comment

Working...
                X