• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: How to install XP over the top of Server 2003

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Paddy,

I don't know which part of stating all the facts you missed...

'Got an old laptop which has been used as a self training machine and has Windows Server 2003 installed.

Now I want to install Windows XP Pro on there.

When I try to it tells me to get stuffed and that you cannot install XP Pro over the top of Server 2003.
    '

or would you prefer pictures like my 3yr old ?

Milan.
    That sounds like a good honest operating system from Yorkshire to me!!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Paddy,

I don't know which part of stating all the facts you missed...

'Got an old laptop which has been used as a self training machine and has Windows Server 2003 installed.

Now I want to install Windows XP Pro on there.

When I try to it tells me to get stuffed and that you cannot install XP Pro over the top of Server 2003.
      '

or would you prefer pictures like my 3yr old ?

Milan.
      Where in there did you mention that you can't boot from the XP install disk? Or can you actually boot from the disk and blitz the existing partition?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

well folks the solution is you gotta make a boot disk and set your computer to boot from cd rom

and voila

it works

there you are Microsoft Experts you can add that to your cv's now

Milan.

Comment

well folks the solution is you gotta make a boot disk and set your computer to boot from cd rom

and voila

it works

there you are Microsoft Experts you can add that to your cv's now

Milan.
          So you didn't even know you need to boot from the CD or how to do it?

We MicroShaft experts have been billings £1000's for this sort of thing since Windoze 3.11

Where have you been?

Trying to install from within the existing OS? You clown.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

We MicroShaft experts have been billings £1000's for this sort of thing since Windoze 3.11

Where have you been?

WDPS

Comment

looks lads, less of it

in the world of .net we leave this lower level o/s crap to the respective operating system teams

feck's sake

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Where have you been?

Exactly. In any subject one would expect a basic level of knowledge. For example if someone was learning to drive one would expect the pupil to have the basic knowledge to open the car door and sit in the driving seat. If the pupil sits in the back seat asks where the are controls, they may as well give up at that point. Milan has failed the absolute basics.
                Last edited by Paddy; 9 October 2011, 15:15.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

yes, it's so funny isn't it

they all mascarade as successfully fully certified MSDN contractors and yet ask them a simple question and they know less than my 6yr old daughter

I especially liked Dim's response.

Class.

Thanks PAH, I owe you.

Milan.
                  MSDN is the subscription to be able to download Microsoft software. Maybe you are thinking of MCSE?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I don’t work with Windows as is the same same with many other contractors.
                    And you say Milan is the one with communication issues here?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

looks lads, less of it

in the world of .net we leave this lower level o/s crap to the respective operating system teams

feck's sake

Milan.
                      Try and install SGI Irix, mental....

boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sash64 dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.64 --x

Obvious...

Goes to GUI after that tho, well CUI anyway...

Solaris is easy, Stop-A, boot cdrom, AIX you have to enter IPL and boot from CD/DVD, easy from there, OSX, hold mouse while booting or press Alt, HP-UX no idea, OpenVMS, hmm, used to know it, cannae remember now...

VMS is the OS of choice, I'm bidding on an HP Integrity box now, Itanium, will run VMS 8.3....

Comment

Working...
                      X