• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You want a break? Pay for it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want a break? Pay for it!

So pay-as-you-break. I wonder how much will be the pricelist. £1 for a cigarette break, £2 for a coffee break, £5 for a dump. How come the business world is becoming so stupid? Of course, break in front of a computer playing solitaire or typing an email to your friend will be free. I wonder what's the next step? Reintroducing the whips?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ixportal.html
    In increasingly desperate moves to reduce labour costs, German economists are considering how employers can avoid paying workers in cigarette and tea breaks.

Employees could be forced to carry time cards and stamp themselves in and out when they leave their workplace for a smoke or drink so that, at the end of the month, the time they spent away from work could be totted up.

Under the proposal, the wages for that time would then be withheld. Norbert Walter, head economist at Deutsche Bank, said that restricting pay to time actually worked would reduce labour costs dramatically. "Those who want to smoke and drink tea should be able to continue doing so. But no one should expect that the employer should pay for their breaks," he said.

Some estimates say that some employees would stand to lose up to a month's wages each year. While the proposal has no official backing yet, it has sparked a debate in Germany and won the support of some senior political figures.

Michael Fuchs, an economics expert with the opposition CDU party who owns a company in Holland with 500 employees, has already decided not to pay those who smoke on his firm's time. "It's not fair to non-smokers when smokers continue to be paid during their breaks," he said. ''Where possible, smokers should register their breaks with time cards.'' But in Germany, where trade unions remain powerful, supporters of the idea could face strong opposition. Klaus Brandner, economic policy spokesman for the governing Social Democrats, said: "The parties concerned should check whether it makes sense to cut paid breaks.''

Chancellor Gerhard Schröder was forced into a climbdown last week after proposing to abolish the Oct 3 national holiday, which marks the reunification.

Germany's new president, Horst Koehler, in effect slapped him down in public and, having failed to check his idea with coalition partners, the Greens, Mr Schroder had to abandon the idea.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

CUK would cost me about £10K a year.

Comment

£1 for a cigarette break, £2 for a coffee break, £5 for a dump
      Wow - how long do you take for a dump ?
      A ciggie break is 10 mins, so therefore you take a 50 minute crap !! Jeez !

Comment

Bring it on I say.

My rate takes into account tea breaks and other personal time (ahem).
        My required rate varies according to length of contract and commitment required to fulfill it.
        An hourly contract requiring 100% commitment comes at a premium rate with a minimum charge of 4 hours.
        If my client wants to pay on that basis I would be very happy. 7-9 followed by 10 mins break would net 4 hours and a reset of the clock. 10:30-12:30 same applies, or they can let me have the breaks and call it continuous and get my 3,6 or 12 month rate.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Jakes Daddy
          Wow - how long do you take for a dump ?
          A ciggie break is 10 mins, so therefore you take a 50 minute crap !! Jeez !
          Huh? A ciggie don't last more than 5 minutes (at least for me). Considering 1-2 minute time spent to go out of the building it makes no longer than 7 minutes. Yet, it is well below the no-smokers breaks. Have you ever heard of a coffee break of 5 minutes? Geez, you wouldn't even hit the cafeteria in that time. Nonetheless blaming the smokers is always the easiest technique, and so I will do when I quit before september.

Alternatively, the easiest way is to not make your brain tired, just switch it off the whole time in the office; that way you won't need any break at all and make the blind idiots happy.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Finally an interesting post

Originally posted by Francko
            Huh? A ciggie don't last more than 5 minutes (at least for me). Considering 1-2 minute time spent to go out of the building it makes no longer than 7 minutes. Yet, it is well below the no-smokers breaks. Have you ever heard of a coffee break of 5 minutes? Geez, you wouldn't even hit the cafeteria in that time. Nonetheless blaming the smokers is always the easiest technique, and so I will do when I quit before september.

Alternatively, the easiest way is to not make your brain tired, just switch it off the whole time in the office; that way you won't need any break at all and make the blind idiots happy.

So how are you going to stop then Francko?
            Have you got a plan?
            I can recommend a very good book (at least it worked for me)
            Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking, highly recommend it.
            Why not?

Comment

The real question is why should companies pay for their mentally weaker employees to take breaks to fulfil their addiction to nicotine while inhaling over 300 chemicals, most of them known to be carcinogenic? Presumably the company also pays for their medical benefits.
              Cut out the wishy-washy stuff. Most smokers who carry on with the habit are mentally weak. All other things being equal, I would hire a non-smoker over a smoker any time.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                So how are you going to stop then Francko?
                Have you got a plan?
                I can recommend a very good book (at least it worked for me)
                Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking, highly recommend it.
                Eventually, have to work so hard not to have time to smoke at all. I am very close to this actually.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  All other things being equal, I would hire a non-smoker over a smoker any time.
                  So for how long did you quit now? I have heard that you are still considered a potential smoker in the first three years after you quit. Carefull, you are hanging by a thread in your probation period!

Comment

Employees could be forced to carry time cards and stamp themselves in and out when they leave their workplace for a smoke or drink so that, at the end of the month, the time they spent away from work could be totted up.
                    A large insurnace Co. just off the M40 were doing this just 5 years ago.
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X