• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for all the God-bothering Christian types on here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'm sure you won't be offended when I say "None of your business."

In my book beliefs are between a man and his God and so they should remain.
    Unless that God says otherwise obviously...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Unless that God says otherwise obviously...
      God's just causing trouble when she does that!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        For those who have faith in their chosen deity, what exactly was it that led you to decide, "I believe in this".

Your parents? An event (someone who was sick recovering).

I get you NOW have faith, but what made you decide that you would have faith.

(Note: the answer cannot be "faith").

Why is your "faith" different from more recent "faiths", eg. Scientology, widely dismissed as a cult, but still followed by many. Is it because it's been around longer?
        Parents, family, culture at home (Ireland), school. There was never any question for them what my religion would be. However, my parents don't really practice anymore (ie don't go to mass etc) nor do my siblings. So while my religion was a given from birth, I chose to keep believeing. Hmmmnnn not even sure if that makes sense.

As for scientology, d'uh, them lot are well wierd. Aliens... yeah. Sure...
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I was raised as a Catholic too, so I can't believe you are not an atheist. Almost Every Catholic I have known has ended up as an atheist.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Also what I found interesting when I read a classic Hindu text (The Bhagavad Gita) was that the main character was a warrior and when he asked Krishna about war and killing being wrong Krishna effectively said to him "That is what you do/are so go and do it"...
            Popey The Sailor Man said something very similar. "I Yam what I yam and that's all that I am"

You get wisdom from the most unlikely sources: Another of my great wise Gurus is John Wayne:

"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?""
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

My brother is a born again Christian. I asked him, if he had been born 5,000 years ago, would he have worshipped an Oak tree a river or a rock. I'm an oak tree man myself.
              His reply 'I would have believed in the same god I believe in now. I would have been a christian'

I cant my head round that

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I was raised as a Catholic too, so I can't believe you are not an atheist. Almost Every Catholic I have known has ended up as an atheist.
                I guess my convent education wasn't completly wasted then.

Lots of my friends and family just don't bother with it anymore but I wouldn't go so far as to say they'd become athiest. All the abuse scandals and stuff at home has probably led to much of that. It's a shame there were so many bad apples in the priesthood
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I've given up explaining the concept of Faith long time ago as it's just pointless with most non-believers.
                  I usually just answer by the following joke:

There was a group of scientists and they were all sitting around discussing which one of them was going to God and tell Him that they didn't need him anymore.

One of the scientists volunteered and went to tell God that he was no longer needed.

The scientist says to God - "God, you know, a group of us have been thinking and I've come to tell you that we really don't need you anymore. I mean, we've been coming up with great theories and ideas, we've cloned sheep, and we're on the verge of cloning humans. So as you can see, we really don't need you."

God nods understandingly and says. "I see. Well, no hard feelings. But before you go let's have a contest. What do you think?"

The scientist says, "Sure. What kind of contest?"

God: "A man-making contest."

The scientist: "Sure! No problem".

The scientist bends down and picks up a handful of dirt and says, "Okay, I'm ready!"

God replies, "No, no, no... You go and get your own dirt."

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Parents, family, culture at home (Ireland), school. There was never any question for them what my religion would be. However, my parents don't really practice anymore (ie don't go to mass etc) nor do my siblings. So while my religion was a given from birth, I chose to keep believeing. Hmmmnnn not even sure if that makes sense.

As for scientology, d'uh, them lot are well wierd. Aliens... yeah. Sure...
                    When I was young and impressionable I spent a long while studying Zen Buddhism.

I steeled myself to have a gentle explanation to me mammy who heard me out, thought about it and replied:

"Whatever makes you happy Love, just don't become a Protestant"....

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
                      I've given up explaining the concept of Faith long time ago as it's just pointless with most non-believers.
                      I usually just answer by the following joke:

There was a group of scientists and they were all sitting around discussing which one of them was going to God and tell Him that they didn't need him anymore.

One of the scientists volunteered and went to tell God that he was no longer needed.

The scientist says to God - "God, you know, a group of us have been thinking and I've come to tell you that we really don't need you anymore. I mean, we've been coming up with great theories and ideas, we've cloned sheep, and we're on the verge of cloning humans. So as you can see, we really don't need you."

God nods understandingly and says. "I see. Well, no hard feelings. But before you go let's have a contest. What do you think?"

The scientist says, "Sure. What kind of contest?"

God: "A man-making contest."

The scientist: "Sure! No problem".

The scientist bends down and picks up a handful of dirt and says, "Okay, I'm ready!"

God replies, "No, no, no... You go and get your own dirt."
                      Two of the faithful were crossing the road. One of them was hit by a bus and lay in a mangled heap

The other crouched down, held his friends hands and said, 'let us pray'

The mangled man said 'idiot. call an ambulance'

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X