• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel holiday? I dont think so

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I try to ensure that I never book holiday during the contract time and only after the renewal date.
    WHS

MF is a model professional.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Aren't I forgiven for newbie questions yet ?
      Yes. For your dull updates on insignificant happenings in your working day no.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No, but we'd still be living in stone age.
        Nonsense. The people who gave humanity its greatest advances are lazy clever people. Lazy stupid people are useless, hard working stupid people can carry heavy objects and flip burgers, hard working clever people are dangerous and should be shot.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Sadly, i've worked with people who wouldn't think twice about cancelling a family holiday if the job required it.
          Ask them whether they think they'll get a second chance to bring up their kids. Bloody idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Ask them whether they think they'll get a second chance to bring up their kids. Bloody idiots.
            In my experience it's mainly permies being pressured to show "loyalty" to a company that wouldn't hesitate to throw them into a skip 10 seconds after their Bob replacement signed on in Bangalore.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              In my experience it's mainly permies being pressured to show "loyalty" to a company that wouldn't hesitate to throw them into a skip 10 seconds after their Bob replacement signed on in Bangalore.
              Whenever some permie manager starts rattling on about 'company loyalty' I find an excuse to leave the room immediately. I wouldn't want them all to hear me laughing so hard my ribs start creaking.

Comment

I get round this by having so little impact on the performance of the company that my absence makes zero difference....

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Sadly, i've worked with people who wouldn't think twice about cancelling a family holiday if the job required it.

if I were given the choice between retaining a contract and taking my kids on a booked holiday that they were looking forward to then i'd be straight down Boots to get the factor 50.
                  End of day you've got to look after yourself and your family....

My importance chart

1. Family
                  2. Friends
                  3. Myself
                  4. The cat
                  146. My employer/client

To be honest, its a principal thing also. Client should be aware that his piss poor organisation does not constitute an emergency as the saying goes.
                  Last edited by psychocandy; 21 September 2011, 15:04.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Offer a sub.
                    Yeh. Good point. In reality though, it'd never happen. Sub would have to be someone who had same skills as me, same exposure to customer systems etc.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Great idea, bring in a new person for a critical phase of the thing you've been working on.
                      Or not been working on in my case and has suddenly appeared as urgent..

Comment

Working...
                      X