• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel holiday? I dont think so

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor dedication - in this climate you should be more concerned how to keep your job and build up war chest rather than go on holiday.

Comment

Aren't I forgiven for newbie questions yet ?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Easy.

Psychocandy; I will do it but on my conditions. Firstly, you reimburse my holiday costs AND pay for an upgrade to first class for my flights when I do go. Secondly, you pay me 300% of my normal rate for the time I spend doing this work. Thirdly, you then extend my contract with a 20% rate rise for another year.

Clientco; oh no we can't do that!

Psychocandy; then it obviously isn't very important. Bye bye, I'm off on holiday, I'm not taking my mobile but I'll send a postcard.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Poor dedication - in this climate you should be more concerned how to keep your job and build up war chest rather than go on holiday.
          If enough people concentrated on having a life instead of panicking about self fulfilling prophecies we wouldn't be heading straight into a crisis.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Offer a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              If enough people concentrated on having a life instead of panicking about self fulfilling prophecies we wouldn't be heading straight into a crisis.
              No, but we'd still be living in stone age.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Sadly, i've worked with people who wouldn't think twice about cancelling a family holiday if the job required it.

if I were given the choice between retaining a contract and taking my kids on a booked holiday that they were looking forward to then i'd be straight down Boots to get the factor 50.

Comment

I did it once as a permie and never again.

I was supposed to be getting met off the boat on a Greek island by a Scandinavian beauty (cor she were fit!), but had to cancel.

Then the bosses quibbled about me claiming the 10% I lost by cancelling the holiday.

The job that needed doing was fixing some customer screen layouts that a software upgrade had mucked up, Stupid gits didn't have any pre-upgrade backups so fixing the upgrade software didn't help and I had to resort to a hex editor.

Gnash, Wail. Grinding of teeth. Never again.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I try to ensure that I never book holiday during the contract time and only after the renewal date. As clientco keeps giving me 3 monthers, when it gets to the end they go 'Oh we'd like to extend you for 3 months come in next week', to whit I point out I have a holiday.

I moved one once, otherwise tough.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                      Offer a sub.
                      Great idea, bring in a new person for a critical phase of the thing you've been working on.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X