• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cancel holiday? I dont think so"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I don't think I'd cancel - more to fear from the wife than my job. Jobserve is available wherever you are! Would they show the same loyalty to you if the boot was on the other foot?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I once had a problem a PM who had eight weeks advance notification of a holiday request, sat on it for three then invited me into an office to "discuss my request"

My opening sentence was that I had by now already booked the holiday flight and hotel as I understood no challenge to equate to approval; and the only options remaining are that I could now serve notice and leave and take my holiday, or he could approve and I would return.

He had a look of a rabbit caught in headlights and could only agree to my request

One of the reasons for being a Contractor is being able to control your own destiny

If you don't like something be prepared to walk.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    In my experience it's mainly permies being pressured to show "loyalty" to a company that wouldn't hesitate to throw them into a skip 10 seconds after their Bob replacement signed on in Bangalore.
    Yep. I worked with a fella once - we were good mates and worked at few places together.

He did the same. Cancelled holiday and was convinced that because of this he'd be OK and the Director of the company (who'd talked him into it) would see him right long term.

Ended up shafted like me. Company didnt even bother doing redundancy properly they just decided who was going, trumped up a few customer complaints about each person they decided was going, then told them sign compromise agreement or get suspended from work. Wasnt worth fighting and they knew it.

My mate went looking for this Director to see him right after this, but, funnily enough, he was nowhere to be found so mate got the boot same as rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Great idea, bring in a new person for a critical phase of the thing you've been working on.
    Or not been working on in my case and has suddenly appeared as urgent..

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Offer a sub.
    Yeh. Good point. In reality though, it'd never happen. Sub would have to be someone who had same skills as me, same exposure to customer systems etc.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Sadly, i've worked with people who wouldn't think twice about cancelling a family holiday if the job required it.

if I were given the choice between retaining a contract and taking my kids on a booked holiday that they were looking forward to then i'd be straight down Boots to get the factor 50.
    End of day you've got to look after yourself and your family....

My importance chart

1. Family
    2. Friends
    3. Myself
    4. The cat
    146. My employer/client

To be honest, its a principal thing also. Client should be aware that his piss poor organisation does not constitute an emergency as the saying goes.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 21 September 2011, 15:04.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I get round this by having so little impact on the performance of the company that my absence makes zero difference....

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    In my experience it's mainly permies being pressured to show "loyalty" to a company that wouldn't hesitate to throw them into a skip 10 seconds after their Bob replacement signed on in Bangalore.
    Whenever some permie manager starts rattling on about 'company loyalty' I find an excuse to leave the room immediately. I wouldn't want them all to hear me laughing so hard my ribs start creaking.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ask them whether they think they'll get a second chance to bring up their kids. Bloody idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Sadly, i've worked with people who wouldn't think twice about cancelling a family holiday if the job required it.
    Ask them whether they think they'll get a second chance to bring up their kids. Bloody idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, but we'd still be living in stone age.
    Nonsense. The people who gave humanity its greatest advances are lazy clever people. Lazy stupid people are useless, hard working stupid people can carry heavy objects and flip burgers, hard working clever people are dangerous and should be shot.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Aren't I forgiven for newbie questions yet ?
    Yes. For your dull updates on insignificant happenings in your working day no.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I try to ensure that I never book holiday during the contract time and only after the renewal date.
    WHS

MF is a model professional.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Offer a sub.
    Great idea, bring in a new person for a critical phase of the thing you've been working on.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I try to ensure that I never book holiday during the contract time and only after the renewal date. As clientco keeps giving me 3 monthers, when it gets to the end they go 'Oh we'd like to extend you for 3 months come in next week', to whit I point out I have a holiday.

I moved one once, otherwise tough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X