• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Actually with modern hardware a startup doesn't need efficient code, until they get popular and explode. That's why FaceBook were fine with PHP until they had to write their own "compiled PHP" optimiser and why Twitter was able to run on Roby on Rails initially.
    Facebook has to build custom datacenters to pay for their original mistake, and Twitter does not work half the time despite hundreds of millions of dollars of investments.

Problem with fixing things after VC money comes in is that your competitors at the same time try to catch up whilst you hack tulipy PHP code. In the end you lose.

That's why a lot of startups use Amazon "Cloud" because they can tick the "Scalability" box when they chase VC money - it is just assumed that just because stuff is in the cloud it will scale well.
    Last edited by AtW; 8 September 2011, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Facebook has to build custom datacenters to pay for their original mistake, and Twitter does not work half the time despite hundreds of millions of dollars of investments.

Problem with fixing things after VC money comes in is that your competitors at the same time try to catch up whilst you hack tulipy PHP code. In the end you lose.
      Yes if only those two had listened to your advice, they could be leaders in their fields now.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Twitter must have one massive association table in there.

Comment

Facebook must get a ridiculous amount of hits serving up ridiculous amounts of data, if you are somehow suggesting facebook and twitter are technology failures then your judgment is way off.

Comment

To see how the big boys do it I love reading the following site from time to time:

High Scalability - High Scalability

Are there any other sites offering genuine info on how the big internet players are getting the job done?

Though the best way of avoiding infrastructure headaches is to keep your site traffic small. Works ok if most visitors are paying rather than just browsing. i.e. a subscription based site rather than one dependent on ad revenue.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Facebook must get a ridiculous amount of hits serving up ridiculous amounts of data, if you are somehow suggesting facebook and twitter are technology failures then your judgment is way off.
              Facebook is a success because they had a lot of cash and smart people to deal with it.

Twitter is a technology failure because they are down half the time I try it despite fairly easy to deal with problem (mostly read only DB with very short record sizes).

Comment

Do you have a blog or something where you have detailed your progress with SKA from a technology point of view?

It's interesting to read how an internet based idea survives and becomes a success, as for every success there are thousands of failures.

If you don't have the info in a blog, then a book may be worthwhile.

Any books on how Facebook et al kept going, from a technical point of view, from startup to eventual profit making success? Seems a gap in the sale of knowledge market if there aren't any books covering that in depth.

It can't all be down to 'more cash'. There's got to be some technical lessons in there for amateurs like me to learn from. Easier than learning from ones own mistakes.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  If you don't have the info in a blog, then a book may be worthwhile.
                  I am having whole chapter dedicated to CUK

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Are there any other sites offering genuine info on how the big internet players are getting the job done?
                    You get some good articles in Communications of the ACM & Queue from time to time.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I am having whole chapter dedicated to CUK

That chapter can be summed up with "This page intentionally blank".
                      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                      X