• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You get some good articles in Communications of the ACM & Queue from time to time.
    Aye.

Pretty good mag and you get it free on top of your ACM membership and access to very nice digital library of articles from all over the world.

I wish I had time to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      You get some good articles in Communications of the ACM & Queue from time to time.

Did that appear as a guest publication on Have I Got News For You?

Sounds a bit dry. Is there an audiobook version read by Ken Dodd?
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Twitter is a technology failure because they are down half the time I try it despite fairly easy to deal with problem (mostly read only DB with very short record sizes).
        Can you just tell me what you think 'a half' actually means before we progress with this discussion?

Is it 1/2 or 50% or do you just make up basic maths constructs outwith common mathematical terminology.

Let me give you an example, if I go down the high street to buy a loaf of bread and one bakers has 100 people in the queue and the other has 50 which one has the half sized queue?

Comment

Aye.

Pretty good mag and you get it free on top of your ACM membership and access to very nice digital library of articles from all over the world.

I wish I had time to read them.
          You need to eat more fibre.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Can you just tell me what you think 'a half' actually means before we progress with this discussion?
            It's down (overloaded to run search) frequently enough to be noticeable.

It's not 50% of the time, but easily around 10% - no other top site does that, and no other top site has got as simple problem with data (small size never updateable message added to read only DB).

I'd solve it for $10 mln, right after sorting out NHS.

HTH

Comment

It's down (overloaded to run search) frequently enough to be noticeable.

It's not 50% of the time, but easily around 10% - no other top site does that, and no other top site has got as simple problem with data (small size never updateable message added to read only DB).

I'd solve it for $10 mln, right after sorting out NHS.

HTH
              So you think a half is 10%. OK.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                So you think a half is 10%. OK.
                10% is very noticeable and can give perception site is down more than actual time it is down.

They are just raising $400 mln out of $800 mln round and perhaps they'll get it fixed.

Comment

The clue is in "It's down half the time I try it".

Maybe just unlucky that it's down half the time he tries it. Should try it more often to get a better success rate.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

10% is very noticeable and can give perception site is down more than actual time it is down.
                    If it was 5% would that seem like more or less than 5%? At what magic value does a number appear to be it's actual value?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What is this about twitter being a read only DB?

Beyonce rubs her belly and gets 9000 posts a second.

You honesly are a complete idiot claiming that and also that 10% is a half.

Has that Dutch guy given up yet on you?

Comment

Working...
                      X