• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I'm drinking.

And silently fuming at the price of beer in the UK. £3 for two 600ml bottles. WTF? I thought the UK was supposed to have a problem with cheap booze.
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Exactly! EXACTLY!!!!!

Do you know it's now £3.80 for a pint of stella at my local 'country' pub. How the feck! You can buy a bottle of wine for the same price!!!!
    Contractors complaining about the price of booze? I have no idea what it costs per pint, bottle or whatever.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Contractors complaining about the price of booze? I have no idea what it costs per pint, bottle or whatever.
      What's the current price for a gram of coke then?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's €0.85 for a 500ml bottle of Bavaria's finest in Munich. Over £2 for a 660ml bottle of Peroni in my local tesco. That is not good value.

I do recommend Waitrose own brand Bavarian weissbier though, it's the real deal.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What's the current price for a gram of coke then?
          I thought it came in litres or fractions of
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            It's €0.85 for a 500ml bottle of Bavaria's finest in Munich. Over £2 for a 660ml bottle of Peroni in my local tesco. That is not good value.

I do recommend Waitrose own brand Bavarian weissbier though, it's the real deal.
            Good value isn't a consideration when purchasing booze in the UK.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              They offer excellent vendor lock in for sure - what a lot of start ups need to do is write efficient code or hire people who can do that, this way they won't be using many resources in the first place: we handled literally millions of queries per day with a handful of cheap boxes, lots of very cheap dedicated servers out there that will be managed by the company that rents them out.

For anything web related its crazy to use Amazon, the only possible valid case I can see in them is being able to run large scale CPU only jobs very rarely, ie: one day a month to run really big job, that's fine, but if you need to run big jobs every day of the month then it's crazy to use Amazon.

They are not fast (latency wise) either for web hosting. Why on earth use them when you can get VPS for £25 per month and it can handle million requests per day if you are good with coding?
              While I agree they are not cheap you can see from my stats that they were producing .1 second page returns on an untuned site running a beta JDK 1.7 with the database on the server, that can easily handle 1 million a day on a hosting package of about 50 quid a day. At a very poor CPM rate it is not tough to make that into a profit of some description.

I agree with you on some level that they are crap but not that they are totally crap.

Comment

I thought it came in litres or fractions of
                No. You're getting confused with virgins blood. That normally comes in litres in other parts of the country, of course unless your in Glasgow where it's impossible to get and trying to find three wise men is considered implausible.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No. You're getting confused with virgins blood. That normally comes in litres in other parts of the country, of course unless your in Glasgow where it's impossible to get and trying to find three wise men is considered implausible.
                  Now that is a true.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    They offer excellent vendor lock in for sure - what a lot of start ups need to do is write efficient code or hire people who can do that, this way they won't be using many resources in the first place: we handled literally millions of queries per day with a handful of cheap boxes, lots of very cheap dedicated servers out there that will be managed by the company that rents them out.
                    Actually with modern hardware a startup doesn't need efficient code, until they get popular and explode. That's why FaceBook were fine with PHP until they had to write their own "compiled PHP" optimiser and why Twitter was able to run on Roby on Rails initially.

Hacking some crap code on a single dedicated server will let you manage enough users to get a VC sniffing around, then you can splash all their money on fixing it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Actually with modern hardware a startup doesn't need efficient code, until they get popular and explode. That's why FaceBook were fine with PHP until they had to write their own "compiled PHP" optimiser and why Twitter was able to run on Roby on Rails initially.

Hacking some crap code on a single dedicated server will let you manage enough users to get a VC sniffing around, then you can splash all their money on fixing it.
                      Never a truer word said.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X