• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Existing MOT (valid till Sept end) & Failed new MOT ..!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Put it this way the DVLA aren't going to send a snatch squad for you in the middle of the night.
    That's because they clamp cars instead.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

MOT Failure Question - MOT - MOT Test: All the Information You Need

"An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence."

So to put this into context if your car fails the MOT due to illegal tyres then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, you were driving unroadworthy vehicle before the MOT, and you will be driving an unroadworthy vehicle until you get a new tyre. Therefore at anytime if caught you would be subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points per illegal tyre.

However once you get a new tyre your car is roadworthy and the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        Thats what I want to avoid...Looks like what you are saying is once MOT failed existing MOT will be invalid...& Police can take my car off the road..??
        No; that not what I am saying. The existing MOT will NOT be invalid if it fails. (I believe the testing station has the power to call in VOSA who could test it themselves and rescind the certificate but that is not likely).

In order to use he car on the road it must:-

1) Have a valid MOT certificate. The fact that you take it for an MOT today and it fails will be recorded but that of itself does not mean you do not have a current MOT. You will not be committing this offence.

2) Comply with the construction and use regulations (i.e. be roadworthy).

So, let us assume that you take it for an MOT and it fails because of emissions (i.e. SockPuppets example). This of itself is not necessarily a breach of con and use regs. It might be if it belching smoke everywhere, or it might not. If it is a breach you are commiting an offence under 2. If it isn't you are not.

Say it fails because of a headlight bulb. You will be committing an offence under 2, replace the bulb and you won't be. (Note also that driving to or from a test only gives you an exemption under the requirement for 1 it does not give an exemption from the con and use regs).

Your problem you describe is:-

"My worry is once I did the test & fail, MOT record will show as failed & I could be trouble for driving the car even though my current MOT covers till Sept end."

This is partly true. The record will show a fail. You could be in trouble for driving the car - if it is unroadworthy. The fact that the car has an MOT makes no difference to this. It is more likely you would get a pull since it will show up as failed.

Comment

An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence.
          Is exactly the same as

However if your vehicle develops a fault and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence.

I keep telling you people over and over again that an MOT is not the same as a roadworthy vehicle. Failing an MOT does not constitute driving an unsafe vehicle.

From the 1st Jan next year you'll fail the MOT if your Tyre pressure sensors are not working or if your steering lock doesn't work. Both of these failures will fail an MOT but the plod will not give a toss as there is no law against those. An HGV can fail a MOT for having a tail lift that doesn't work but there is no legal reason to have one working, the plod couldn't give you points for it.

General rule for the MOT is: If it's fitted it must work and be safe.
          General rule for the ROAD is: If it's fitted it must be safe.

Note how those are not the same.
          Last edited by Sockpuppet; 6 September 2011, 12:19.

Comment

Sockie please talk to the Roses, they may grow better.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...by%20hand).pdf

About this document
            1This document tells you that your vehicle has not
            been shown to meet the minimum legal requirements
            for the reason(s) detailed. If you intend to use your
            vehicle on the road you should have it repaired
            without delay and have it retested before the existing
            test validity expires
            . In a few cases, this document
            may be issued because the test could not be
            satisfactorily completed.
            2 Please keep this failure notice and produce it at the
            Testing Station in the event of a re-examination.
            3 Further information on retest fees or if you disagree
            with the test result can be found on the Fees
            and Appeals poster displayed in every vehicle
            testing station, by visiting MOT : Directgov - Motoring or
            contacting VOSA on 0300 123 9000*.
            So if it fails repair without delay and get re-tested. The MOT will not be invalidated and require you to obtain a SORN etc but you cannot use it on the road other than to get it repaired or tested.

Regardless of lax common practice you may be used to in the haulage industry this is the letter of the law. Two different things.

Your mate in traffic may not give a toss but the CPS might. Of course you are free to make up your own mind.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Sockie please talk to the Roses, they may grow better.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...by%20hand).pdf

So if it fails repair without delay and get re-tested. The MOT will not be invalidated and require you to obtain a SORN etc but you cannot use it on the road other than to get it repaired or tested.

Regardless of lax common practice you may be used to in the haulage industry this is the letter of the law. Two different things.

Your mate in traffic may not give a toss but the CPS might. Of course you are free to make up your own mind.
              This document tells you that your vehicle has not
              been shown to meet the minimum legal requirements
              for the reason(s) detailed. If you intend to use your
              vehicle on the road you should have it repaired
              without delay and have it retested before the existing
              test validity expires
              Where does that say you can't use it on the road. It says you should have it repaired. Which is what you do if you car brakes failed without an MOT needing to be done. No where does it say you can't drive it anywhere other than to / from test stations. As I've said before. I tyre pressure sensor failure will make a car fail an MOT but will not attract the wrath of the CPS.

but you cannot use it on the road other than to get it repaired or tested.
              Nope, it doesn't say that at all. What it does say is that you should get it retested before your existing MOT runs out. Which sort of proves my point about your old MOT still being valid.

But hey we'll agree to differ.

Comment

Sockie is right.

And I can't believe someone trotted out that old chestnut about Insurance again.

Comment

Working...
                X