• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSD Drives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The 2600K has hyperthreading and a larger cache, and you can still overclock it if you like.
    Hyperthreading is poor mans multi core.

Larger cache is mostly gimmick (for desktop apps).

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      And you'll spend the same amount in the few years. Save some cash, get a Mac.
      Doubt it.

Only upgraded as my old mobo only supported up to 2gb.

Otherwise the 1st gen Core2Duo was handling my needs pretty well.

So just ripped out the mobo, cpu, ram, and upgraded to the new stuff.

Re-used the Case, PSU, blu-ray drive, SSD. Added a second SSD for the virtual machine images.

Can you upgrade a Mac in a similar fashion?

I've had this PC for nearly 20 years now. Only thing I've not upgraded in that time is the power lead.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        I've had this PC for nearly 20 years now. Only thing I've not upgraded in that time is the power lead.

The PC of Theseus
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Yep. Double the threads but only ~30% better performance overall.

So resist getting a 2600k, get a 2500k, and put the money saved towards a new Ivy Bridge cpu next year (which are compatible with current LGA-1155 Sandy Bridge mobos ) if you find the 2500k falling short.

The only use I could justify splurging on a 2600k was if using heavily threaded apps such as Handbrake.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            The PC of Theseus
            I was thinking more of Trigger's Broom.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Larger cache is mostly gimmick (for desktop apps).
              Enabling Hyperthreading can screw up a SQL server installation (but not if you're still running SQL Server 2000 as they fixed the bug there and then recreated it for later versions).

I'm rather concerned I'm agreeing with ATW. I must wash my hands.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

E-P3nis

My pending shopping list, been simmering for months. Do you think word, Excel and sage will run ok?

2 Dell monitors, 2 SSD Striped for system drive.

The 120Gb Corsair SSDs are £107.12 each.

Description

1TB Seagate ST31000340NS Barracuda ES.2, Enterprise 24x7 SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 9.5ms

Razer Black Widow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Soundcard PCI-E -

Coolermaster HAF 932 Black, High Air Flow Tower Case w/o PSU (New Version)

5m DV-205 DVI-D to DVI-D DUAL-LINK Monitor Cable (for TFT Monitors) Premium Signal Quality

Qnap TS-410 4-bay SATA (2.5"/3.5" HDD) Advanced RAID NAS Box 2x Gigabit Lan, 4xUSB & 2xeSATA & iSCSI

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

Logitech Media Board Pro Slim Keyboard with an integrated Touchpad for PS3 and Bluetooth Enabled PCs

27" Dell U2711 A04 WQHD Widescreen LCD. 2560x1440, HDMI, 2xDVI-D, Display Port, 5 xUSB, 8in1 reader

600GB Western Digital WD6000HLHX VelociRaptor, SATA 6Gb/s, 10000rpm, 32MB Cache, 4.2ms

1200W Corsair Pro Gold AX1200, Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, 90% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 120mm Fan

12GB (3x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-16000 (2000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-10-9-27, 1.65V

D-link DAP-1522/B Wireless N Dualband Access Point and Ethernet Bridge

Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked S1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz GPU 850Mhz 8MB Cache 95W Retail

1280MB Asus GTX 570, 40nm, 3800MHz GDDR5, GPU 732MHz, Shader 1464MHz, 480 Cores, DL-DVI/mHDMI

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-performance CPU Cooler, LGA1156, LGA775, LGA1366, AM2 and AM3

Pioneer BDR-206MBK Blu-ray Writer 12x BD-R, x8 DVD±DL x16 DVD±R OEM - Worlds 1st Quad Layer Drive

10pcs Cakebox, TDK T78082, Blu-Ray 25GB BD-R 6x

Asus P8Z68-V PRO, Intel Z68, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, ATX, HDMI

120GB Corsair Force Series 3 , 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s, SandForce SSD, Read 550MB/s, Write 510MB/s, 85K IOPS

Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers, 500W RMS
                Last edited by Scrag Meister; 1 September 2011, 09:01.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  My pending shopping list, been simmering for months. Do you think word, Excel and sage will run ok?
                  Well Sage will find a way to stop working as it always does.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    27" Dell U2711 A04 WQHD Widescreen LCD. 2560x1440, HDMI, 2xDVI-D, Display Port, 5 xUSB, 8in1 reader
                    I hope you're getting 2 of those!
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      I hope you're getting 2 of those!
                      Absolutely.

Some people like their cars, I just want my invoices to look good.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X