• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Important Climate News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Important Climate News

    CERN: 'Climate models will need to be substantially revised' ? The Register
    Coffee's for closers

    #2
    In the debate on cosmic rays the standard answer was always "there's still no results from the CLOUD experiment".

    ...as if to say the experiment has failed.

    Excellent summary here:

    CERN experiment confirms cosmic ray action « Calder's Updates

    Listening to some, it's interesting how the science gets dumped went they don't agree with it.

    Now of course the sun's gone quiet and behold:

    NASA notes sea level is falling in press release – but calls it a “Pothole on Road to Higher Seas” | Watts Up With That?

    Coming soon:

    Global temperature drops
    CO2 drops
    Increase in arctic ice
    I'm alright Jack

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Coming soon:

      Global temperature drops
      CO2 drops
      Increase in arctic ice
      They'll start taxing electric cars, wind turbines and solar panels for not doing enough to counter global cooling
      Coffee's for closers

      Comment


        #4
        Presumably clouds are important because they reduce water content in the atmosphere, when it rains? Because clouds themselves, when they form, don't increase the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere as far as I see. Either that or denser accumulations of water vapour (clouds) are better at reflecting heat than the same quantity of water in a less condensed form (just plain water vapour).
        Last edited by TimberWolf; 25 August 2011, 12:32. Reason: typo

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Presumably clouds are important because they reduce water content in the atmosphere, when it rains? Because clouds themselves, when they form, don't increase the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere as far as I see. Either that or denser accumulations of water vapour (clouds) are better at reflecting heat than the same quantity of water in a less condensed form (just plain water vapour).
          Water vapour is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect, and clouds have a much stronger effect than water vapour alone. So more clouds = stronger greenhouse effect.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Water vapour is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect, and clouds have a much stronger effect than water vapour alone. So more clouds = stronger greenhouse effect.
            clouds reflect the sunlight back into space, which is why it's colder on an overcast day.
            Coffee's for closers

            Comment


              #7
              It's Mass Drivers you should be worried about.

              Comment


                #8
                I noticed that the BBC kept this artice off the Front Page and out of the "pictured" science and environment articles and have already dropped it down to "other environmental stories":

                BBC News - Cloud simulator tests climate models

                Richard Black has also ignored it, possibly because it goes against one of his earlier articles:
                BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'No Sun link' to climate change
                Coffee's for closers

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Water vapour is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect, and clouds have a much stronger effect than water vapour alone. So more clouds = stronger greenhouse effect.
                  Interesting property of water. Although are you sure it's not just because clouds have more water vapour than average air? I guess you are, because that was my original assumption that I was questioning!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    clouds reflect the sunlight back into space, which is why it's colder on an overcast day.
                    Yes, but they also trap heat which is why it's warmer on a cloudy night. Although the net effect of increased albedo + greenhouse effect is apparently a cooling, and they have an effect on the effect of other greenhouse gases as well. I guess that's why they will need to update the models.

                    Cloud forcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X