• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Important Climate News"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, but they also trap heat which is why it's warmer on a cloudy night. Although the net effect of increased albedo + greenhouse effect is apparently a cooling, and they have an effect on the effect of other greenhouse gases as well. I guess that's why they will need to update the models.

Cloud forcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Similar, everyday, effect with glass in greenhouses AFAIK. Glass let's through much of visible light's energy, but is less effective at passing infra-red, IIRC. Net result is that the greenhouse heats up.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    clouds reflect the sunlight back into space, which is why it's colder on an overcast day.
    Yes, but they also trap heat which is why it's warmer on a cloudy night. Although the net effect of increased albedo + greenhouse effect is apparently a cooling, and they have an effect on the effect of other greenhouse gases as well. I guess that's why they will need to update the models.

Cloud forcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Water vapour is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect, and clouds have a much stronger effect than water vapour alone. So more clouds = stronger greenhouse effect.
    Interesting property of water. Although are you sure it's not just because clouds have more water vapour than average air? I guess you are, because that was my original assumption that I was questioning!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I noticed that the BBC kept this artice off the Front Page and out of the "pictured" science and environment articles and have already dropped it down to "other environmental stories":

BBC News - Cloud simulator tests climate models

Richard Black has also ignored it, possibly because it goes against one of his earlier articles:
    BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'No Sun link' to climate change

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's Mass Drivers you should be worried about.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Water vapour is responsible for most of the greenhouse effect, and clouds have a much stronger effect than water vapour alone. So more clouds = stronger greenhouse effect.
    clouds reflect the sunlight back into space, which is why it's colder on an overcast day.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Presumably clouds are important because they reduce water content in the atmosphere, when it rains? Because clouds themselves, when they form, don't increase the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere as far as I see. Either that or denser accumulations of water vapour (clouds) are better at reflecting heat than the same quantity of water in a less condensed form (just plain water vapour).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Presumably clouds are important because they reduce water content in the atmosphere, when it rains? Because clouds themselves, when they form, don't increase the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere as far as I see. Either that or denser accumulations of water vapour (clouds) are better at reflecting heat than the same quantity of water in a less condensed form (just plain water vapour).
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 25 August 2011, 12:32. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Coming soon:

Global temperature drops
    CO2 drops
    Increase in arctic ice
    They'll start taxing electric cars, wind turbines and solar panels for not doing enough to counter global cooling

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    In the debate on cosmic rays the standard answer was always "there's still no results from the CLOUD experiment".

...as if to say the experiment has failed.

Excellent summary here:

CERN experiment confirms cosmic ray action « Calder's Updates

Listening to some, it's interesting how the science gets dumped went they don't agree with it.

Now of course the sun's gone quiet and behold:

NASA notes sea level is falling in press release – but calls it a “Pothole on Road to Higher Seas” | Watts Up With That?

Coming soon:

Global temperature drops
    CO2 drops
    Increase in arctic ice

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Important Climate News

Important Climate News

CERN: 'Climate models will need to be substantially revised' ? The Register

Working...
X