• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Concept II, 5km @ 21 minutes 38 seconds, max resistance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You've got that right. Forget cosy cable TV prison for riot/looting types - 4 weeks at army camp with concept 2 and mad instructor ought to sort em out.
    Yep, but then you'd have to get the police fit enough to chase after the little tulips!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Some impressive times here. I'm not a racer, more slow and steady. When I was using the Concept 2 (3 years ago) I would just keep to 500m every 2 min for 15 min. I'm 48 years old.

I've got a water rower now, rather than a Concept 2. I liked the reliability of the Concept 2 but for me it did have a noticeable "snatch" (fnaar, fnaar). I found the water rower (a Fluid E316) was much smoother on my joints and I also prefer the sound the water rower makes in use.

I use my rower for 10 minutes a day plus cycle around 10 miles. I still find it tough to keep the weight off and it gets harder as I get older.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Some impressive times here. I'm not a racer, more slow and steady. When I was using the Concept 2 (3 years ago) I would just keep to 500m every 2 min for 15 min. I'm 48 years old.

I've got a water rower now, rather than a Concept 2. I liked the reliability of the Concept 2 but for me it did have a noticeable "snatch" (fnaar, fnaar). I found the water rower (a Fluid E316) was much smoother on my joints and I also prefer the sound the water rower makes in use.

I use my rower for 10 minutes a day plus cycle around 10 miles. I still find it tough to keep the weight off and it gets harder as I get older.
        Again, same advice as for others; try some interval training. Set the resistance as high as you can manage and pull hard; tabata intervals are good (20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest, 8 times), and combined with doing 5 or 6 20 second sprints during your bike ride you'll find you get rid of some fat because the resistance will help build just a little bit more muscle bulk. A few kilos more muscle will allow you to eat quite a lot without getting fat and you won't end up looking like a bodybuilding freak either.

Also, throw away your scales and use a tape measure to guage your shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          That's pretty good going. I managed 7.03 for 2000 metres last summer, but haven't used the rowing machine since then as I've been training outdoors; if you can get below 7 for 2000 metres and you're 35 you're very, very fit indeed.
          I've got one of these on hire, my best 2K is 7.20 and I'm 36, so under 7mins is certainly someting to aim for!

And yes these things are like torture, you do have to have a few screws loose to attempt any distance on a Concept2.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I only rarely use the Concept II at the gym and I can't remember what settings I use, except I keep it below some nice round number, which means some pretty fast rowing. I keep that up until I decide that I'm getting bored , which is usually about 5 or 10 minutes. And then I can't sit down for about 10 minutes because my glutes are pumped.

Comment

Again, same advice as for others; try some interval training. Set the resistance as high as you can manage and pull hard; tabata intervals are good (20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest, 8 times), and combined with doing 5 or 6 20 second sprints during your bike ride you'll find you get rid of some fat because the resistance will help build just a little bit more muscle bulk. A few kilos more muscle will allow you to eat quite a lot without getting fat and you won't end up looking like a bodybuilding freak either.

Also, throw away your scales and use a tape measure to guage your shape.
              Personal trainer has had me doing full 60 second sprints with 60 seconds recovery for 10-12 minutes.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Personal trainer has had me doing full 60 second sprints with 60 seconds recovery for 10-12 minutes.
                Same effect; it's not really about precisely how long the intervals are. There's no evidence that 30 seconds is better than 25 or 35, or that 60 is better than 50 or 70, except that the principle is to raise and lower your heart rate and respiratory system above and below the aerobic boundary. However, the exact timing becomes interesting for sport specific training. Rugby players tend to use intervals of between 20 and 40 seconds because the game is typically played in those intervals. Middle distance runners would probably go for 1 or 2 minute intervals.
                I advised the 20 second intervals because they'll help in building a bit more muscular strength and bulk, which can help to reduce fat levels. Above about 20 seconds you can't keep up a high level of force so the strength gains will be minimal. Of course, if it were purely about power and strength or speed you'd look at weight training and perhaps intervals of 5 to 10 seconds with full recovery, but that's getting too specific for people who want to keep themselves in shape.
                Last edited by Mich the Tester; 18 August 2011, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  And yes these things are like torture, you do have to have a few screws loose to attempt any distance on a Concept2.

qh
                  Do I qualify?

3 x 5km per week at the minute. Generally knock off around 20 seconds with each attempt with the river of sweat pouring off my head.

Don't knock if anyone else has tried this, if a down a litre of water before starting I find it makes for a huge impact on my time.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Do I qualify?

3 x 5km per week at the minute. Generally knock off around 20 seconds with each attempt with the river of sweat pouring off my head.

Don't knock if anyone else has tried this, if a down a litre of water before starting I find it makes for a huge impact on my time.
                    If you spread that litre over 3* 330 mls every 10 minutes for 30 minutes beforehand you might do even better.

Comment

Probably best to stop at 1.5k
                      5 23.9 today - this thread has inspired me!

It's good for scaring the hell out of the pink shirted tosspot 'instructors' at the more namby pamby luxury gyms though.

Got banned from one gym because of that....

Comment

Working...
                      X