• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looter pwned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Some muppet installing software he found on the internet and then using it for its intended purpose does not a hacker make.
    Why do people make such complete and utter bollocks postings without doing a bit of research first.

Have a read of some of his previous postings

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Matt Jonkman leaves Bleeding Edge Threats...

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: To jailbreak or not to jailbreak the iPhone 3G

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Blackhat / Defcon 2008 Security Tool Round-up

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Kaminsky DNS Cache Poisoning PoC Exploit in Metasploit SVN

It's quite clear he works in the 'industry'. Muppet.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      Have a read of some of his previous postings

<snip>

It's quite clear he works in the 'industry'. Muppet.
      WIS.

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
      ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like)...
      Yes, because the first thing the average Mac user does with their new MacBook is experiment with hash cracking using the GPU: Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: New 13" Macbook Pro GPU Hash Cracking NTLM/MD5/SHA1

Although in fact that is a pretty typical use for a Mac these days - go to a tech conference these days and all those people that used to have a Dell running Linux have a MacBook Pro, often still running Linux, or more usually a few Linux VMs.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        WIS.

Yes, because the first thing the average Mac user does with their new MacBook is experiment with hash cracking using the GPU: Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: New 13" Macbook Pro GPU Hash Cracking NTLM/MD5/SHA1
        yep that's the first thing my mum tried to do when she got her iPhone
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          It was, the looter just created another account.
          Which was lucky as, by the sounds of it, if he hadn't and re-formatted/replaced the hard drive, he may never have been caught.

Note to self: Install prey on laptop and remove password protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Which was lucky as, by the sounds of it, if he hadn't and re-formatted/replaced the hard drive, he may never have been caught.

My account has a psswd but the more limited guest acct doesn't.

Comment

Note to self: Install prey on laptop
              Insecure until bugs are fixed

shrp.me/docs - Don't Use Prey

...remove password protection.
              No need

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Read some of the comments... talk about technically illiterate!
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Read some of the comments... talk about technically illiterate!
                  Bit harsh. Nick Fitz looked like he new what he was talking about.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
                    Some muppet installing software he found on the internet and then using it for its intended purpose does not a hacker make.
                    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                    ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like) but what justice anyway!! would love to be able to do something like that, I would have had some fun with his facebook/email contact list first though, I'd have logged in and told all his freinds/family that he was one of the looters, change is password and repeat for all other sites he belongs to, in fact I'd continue to mess with his accounts as an act of ongoing revenge....
                    The BBC news reported that he used to work for the FBI and Google so I assume he's more than your average home user.

HP Protect Tools is good for that. I have it on this laptop and its part of the bios/motherboard so you can't get rid of it even by changing the OS. It uses the hardware to call home and tell me where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                      The BBC news reported that he used to work for the FBI and Google so I assume he's more than your average home user.

HP Protect Tools is good for that. I have it on this laptop and its part of the bios/motherboard so you can't get rid of it even by changing the OS. It uses the hardware to call home and tell me where it is.
                      does the disk encryption slow your machine down at all?
                      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                      X