• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family served with eviction notice from Wandsworth Council

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I hope that clears things up to your satisfaction.
    I think only a duel can resolve this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      It's like most of London. Council housing which may or may not be in housing estates is mixed with private housing.
      So, to sum up and correct me I am wrong here: our very own sasguru lives next to council estates and big prison?

I can understand why DimPrawn decided to live in Newcastle

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        So, to sum up and correct me I am wrong here: our very own sasguru lives next to council estates and big prison?
        Living by Wandsworth prison is suppose to be safe as it's category B.

The council estates are a few miles further from the prison.

Oh and everywhere in London seems to have a prison or some sort of offenders institution not far away from it......
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I doubt anyone will take them on privately now he has had his mush pictured on the front page of the Mail. Homeless hostels for this family then, can't say I am sad really.
          Comments like that really make me wonder who's worse... the chavs or the middle-class people who look down on them.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Not sure about the eviction idea, seems heavy handed and needs to be used for the worst cases.

I am impressed with the more
            heavier sentences the courts have been handing out by sending rioters of all types (whether their first ever crime or multiple) straight to jail - do not pass go - do not collect £200.

Some of the reactions of people sent to jail have been along the lines of 'b b b but it was only a bottle of wine' I think the knowledge that if your caught for
            rioting/looting you're going away for
            six months will act as a deterrent to
            many.
            I'm glad I took MF off my ignore list. This was a good post and I agree with the opinions expressed.
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I have never understood where communities who have large number of unemployed do
              not have community work schemes aligned with the local councils where basic painting/decorating/cleaning skills etc are not taught and
              employed. Then those out of work would decorate the flats of others on social housing , would
              clean the streets, tidy up, mow the parks, prune the trees etc in exchange for their
              benefit plus maybe a community
              top up. They would maybe only need to do two days per week each.

The argument against has always been that someone employed is put out of work and the unions would strike, but as most councils outsource their work to the private sector this doesn't hold water. Reduce council outgoings by making those you pay to sit at home work in the community for two days, they become insentivised and get a work ethic and start to respect their community. Winners all round shirley?
              I'm not glad I took MF off my ignore list.
              So in areas of high unemployment, you make more unemployed by putting the professional painters/handymen out of work. So that you can try and get effective work done by the chavs two days a week?
              It's like those people who say we should bring back conscription. It would be a terrible blow to the army. One reason we have such good armed forces is because they are a professional force, manned by people who choose to do that job.
              I've a better idea. Give tenants without work in London a bribe of 4 or 5k to exchange their council flat for a place in Norfolk or Lincs (or anywhere where there is a shortage of agricultural workers). This bribe would soon be recovered from the housing benefit currently being forked out. Of course they may still end up rioting in the sticks, but since journalists don't go there, we won't need to watch it!
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I am impressed with the more
                heavier sentences the courts have been handing out by sending rioters of all types (whether their first ever crime or multiple) straight to jail - do not pass go - do not collect £200.
                The trouble is that when you send someone to jail for 6 months for stealing £3.50 of bottled water, whereas Jim Devine only served 4 months for £8,385 fraudulent MP's expenses, it just makes the justice system and the government seem even less credible to a group of people who have already lost faith in it. (Not to mention other MPs who received no punishment, bankers who haven't been investigated for the fraud that caused the GFC, dodgy police and media types implicated in phone hacking, etc).
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I think the justification (rightly or wrongly) is that looting creates fear and panic among the public, so the sentance reflects not the monetary value of what was stolen, but part of it's overall contribution to the fear caused to innocent members of the public.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Comments like that really make me wonder who's worse... the chavs or the middle-class people who look down on them.
                    I have pretty much always had a job since I was 12, I maximised the educational chances I got, put a decent effort into my professional life, never been in bother with the police and have done that without the need for an array of tax payer funded community groups filled from top to toe with right on excuse filled enablers screaming on about my human rights any time anyone asks me to actually do something or disagrees with me.

I made my choices and they have made theirs so they can take the punishment as much as I have taken the rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                      The trouble is that when you send someone to jail for 6 months for stealing £3.50 of bottled water, whereas Jim Devine only served 4 months for £8,385 fraudulent MP's expenses, it just makes the justice system and the government seem even less credible to a group of people who have already lost faith in it. (Not to mention other MPs who received no punishment, bankers who haven't been investigated for the fraud that caused the GFC, dodgy police and media types implicated in phone hacking, etc).
                      People have been getting away with it cos it's "just a bottle of wine", "just some unpaid car tax", "just a common assault", "just shoplifiting", "just breaking and entering" or "just some victimless white collar fraud" or "just some anti-social behaviour" for far too long. If the courts had spent the last 20 years locking people up for relatively minor first offences you wouldn't have a nation of people who believe they can do whatever the **** they choose without facing any consequences.

The next problem will be maintaining a comparable level of sentencing. Britain's jails are already overflowing and from what I gather we don't have the budget or political will to build more so we have a choice between letting existing prisoners out early to make space or going easy on "low level" crime.

I propose a technological solution. We could use high tech GPS enabled tracking devices linked to massive doses of sedatives to impose house arrest on anyone convicted of a minor offence. Should they stray more than 100m from their house they will be rendered unconscious in the middle of the street, so that any passer by can urinate on them or shave their eyebrows.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X