• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cause of the riots / lootings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy's got a good point though; if nothing else, sport can provide positive male role models for young men, and I have a feeling that's what a lot of the young chavs are missing.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What do you make of this car incident where three people got killed?

My guess, and I am guessing is that the car came round the corner, the driver seen a crowd on the street, crapped it and tried to drive through at high speed. I am going to guess the driver was female and it was not a deliberate act.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Dodgy's got a good point though; if nothing else, sport can provide positive male role models for young men, and I have a feeling that's what a lot of the young chavs are missing.
        WHS

In places where the youths were/are rioting there are often boxing clubs set up to keep them out of trouble.

It's very hard to train if you have a hangover or are smoking tulip.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

They freely admitted they ... even if they were caught the prisons were full so no-one can do "nuffin" to them.

So, I'd say a big reason is the lack of deterent to youths who haven't got a criminal concience.
          WHS
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 August 2011, 16:16.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

My guess, and I am guessing is that the car came round the corner, the driver seen a crowd on the street, crapped it and tried to drive through at high speed. I am going to guess the driver was female and it was not a deliberate act.
            Apparently there were four people in the car, and it mounted the pavement and steered towards the three guys at high speed (and the same car had driven past a couple of minutes previously).
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

I heard it was a big burly 6'8'' ex marine who had travelled back from Ireland, was tired and scared of being attacked by looters, drove roung a corner and thought that he saw 3 were-rabbits with spades near the mosque. So he ran them over.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Being out of the UK right now, this news is rather confusing. When we get riots in Paris, it's about some issue people care about. But even the BBC didn't seem to have an answer. They mention the killing of an 'innocent' but even they don't suggest this is the real cause, only a factor for the first riot.

Is it simply that people have seen the chance for a bit of anarchy? If so, isn't this rather unusual? Does it underline a general sense of national unrest?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Being out of the UK right now, this news is rather confusing. When we get riots in Paris, it's about some issue people care about. But even the BBC didn't seem to have an answer. They mention the killing of an 'innocent' but even they don't suggest this is the real cause, only a factor for the first riot.

Is it simply that people have seen the chance for a bit of anarchy? If so, isn't this rather unusual? Does it underline a general sense of national unrest?
                  The Dutch morning papers are saying it´s all about a rebellious underclass and that England still has a ´feudal society´, the English are ´class obsessed´ and the youth have no opportunies. Not entirely accurate IMO, especially seeing as the first people in court for looting included a teaching assistant and a graphic designer.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                  X