• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Torrenting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use vuze client with peerblock running in the background. Search using isohunt as people generally rate downloads so you can normally tell which ones are fake. For movies search for 'jaybob' and to a lesser extent 'axxo'.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
      Lovefilm do cheap streaming packages but as companies like netflix diffuse in other global markets as well as other providers, it will be cheaper than violating copywright.

I've tried the Lovefilm streaming and the quality isn't even DVD let alone HD, more VCD unless they've increased the resolution/bitrates since I last looked. Maybe Netflix and the others will force the quality up, but you're still at the mercy of your connection and contention ratios at peak times.

VCD quality may be passable for watching on a laptop but don't fancy it on a big TV. So the service isn't quite ready for prime time IMO.

For now I prefer to rent (via Lovefilm, 3 titles at a time, turnaround averaging 6 a week for under £15/month ) or buy DVDs (many available used for a couple of quid on Amazon or Play.com) and Blu-rays.

No way do I fancy downloading 30gb+ blu-ray rips, even if my broadband was truly unlimited and I was confident of being able to remain anonymous and all the hassle that involves.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

LoveFilm was shoddy when I tried it too. NetFlix much better and you could choose quality - to avoid caning the web usage we used low and on a 40" TV it was fine... first 5s were terrible then it smoothed out. High quality was very nice.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          FTFY. I doubt you're comparing HD with decent SD, but HD with crappy low-bitrate SD. Either that or you sit REALLY close to the screen
          Close enough for the headphone cable to reach
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ddaft View Post
            I use vuze client with peerblock running in the background. Search using isohunt as people generally rate downloads so you can normally tell which ones are fake. For movies search for 'jaybob' and to a lesser extent 'axxo'.
            I use the KickAssTorrents website as they group TV shows into their own pages, so if you miss a couple of shows, you can download from one page you don't have to search for each episode.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              I've tried the Lovefilm streaming and the quality isn't even DVD let alone HD, more VCD unless they've increased the resolution/bitrates since I last looked. Maybe Netflix and the others will force the quality up, but you're still at the mercy of your connection and contention ratios at peak times.

VCD quality may be passable for watching on a laptop but don't fancy it on a big TV. So the service isn't quite ready for prime time IMO.
              Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              LoveFilm was shoddy when I tried it too. NetFlix much better and you could choose quality - to avoid caning the web usage we used low and on a 40" TV it was fine... first 5s were terrible then it smoothed out. High quality was very nice.
              Not at the moment no .....

But hopefully it will get there. The push for minimum broadband speeds for all are being pushed out and there is talk/trials of analogue TV frequencies being re-used in remote areas for 3g/4g connections and in built up areas for frequencies to be auctioned off for 4g. With "internet" tax, lets hope they used the money on fibre optic costs rather than paperwork and further quangos.

We are a long way behind some european neighbours and asian countries with Gb/s internet access though ....

Comment

You don't need massively fast connections to stream a single HD program. You need a stable connection of a few Mbps; the issue is the infrastructure up the chain being able to cope with us all watching at once but iPlayer and YouTube have been pushing this already.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X