• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it too early for a cheeky glass of vin rouge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    But will probably land up like

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/suc...ges/cowpat.jpg

If you drink the wine first.
    No, surprisingly was like the photo, despite the wine. Was bloody lovely though.... so much cheaper and better than the local takeaway.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just had salt beef hash accompanied with a nice burgundy.
      Wonderful!

Comment

Just had salt beef hash accompanied with a nice burgundy.
        Are you in the eighteenth century aboard a man-of-war that's just captured a French frigate?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Are you in the eighteenth century aboard a man-of-war that's just captured a French frigate?
          I wondered that.

Hash I thought was mince n tatties.

Coq au vin was lovely. I get the impression that it was originally a dish that French farm workers ate, sling it all in the pot type of affair, and that modern pretentious tv chefs have over glamourised.

No poncy steps in mine. Very basic.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If you like coq, you should try some slow cooked lamb shanks in wine - lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I wondered that.

Hash I thought was mince n tatties.

Coq au vin was lovely. I get the impression that it was originally a dish that French farm workers ate, sling it all in the pot type of affair, and that modern pretentious tv chefs have over glamourised.

No poncy steps in mine. Very basic.
              Salt beef hash is potatoes, onions and salt beef (not tinned corned beef nonsense) with Worcestershire sauce. You normally have to boil the salt beef for 3 hours before pan frying it for the hash.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Salt beef hash is potatoes, onions and salt beef (not tinned corned beef nonsense) with Worcestershire sauce. You normally have to boil the salt beef for 3 hours before pan frying it for the hash.
                Posh mince n tatties then

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Posh mince n tatties then

I'd hardly called brined brisket "posh". We're lucky one of the local farmers sells his own beef and this is one of his specialities.

The salt beef is also nice in sarnies
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Indeed, it's an undiscovered secret that those slices of meat that have the unfashionable or cheap tag, such as pork belly, trotters, cheeks or 28 day matured rump steak, have the most amazing flavours and textures.

I use hoisin marinated left over pork belly as an ingredient to my special fried rice.

But I'm a mere sous chef compared to the Michelin starred norrahe!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                      Indeed, it's an undiscovered secret that those slices of meat that have the unfashionable or cheap tag, such as pork belly, trotters, cheeks or 28 day matured rump steak, have the most amazing flavours and textures.

I use hoisin marinated left over pork belly as an ingredient to my special fried rice.

But I'm a mere sous chef compared to the Michelin starred norrahe!
                      mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pork Belly

I slow cook that for 8 hours in cider, herbs and stock and then flash it under the grill for nice cripsy crackling. Unfortunately all the cuts you mention which were once unfashionable are now fashionable and expensive thanks to all the tv chefs.

I'm a big fan of slow cooking and the farmer I get my meat off has all those lovely cuts that no one else seems to want and some I get for free. It is nice to get all your produce direct from source.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X