• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agents

Seriously...why do contractors need agents?

I first contracted in London in 1993. I have worked in every single sector you can think of in the UK, from 22 quid an hour to over a grand a day and one thing stands out compared to the general recruitment approach internationally.

UK IT recruiting is a completely unprofessional arena.

Now it's even spread to Australia with the plethora of UK nats there.

7 words...cut costs, go straight to the client!

Invoice factoring and client-hunting on 'your behalf'. Pretty much it for the vast majority who can't afford to hold out for the 90-day direct-to-client wait, and aren't in a niche-enough industry or can't be arsed to network. Also - many large clients abhor taking most 'tractors direct, preferring to run them through an agency, even if it's just for payroll.

The last bank I worked for forced even the most veteran contractors through Reed at 5%. Baloney.

Comment

Because contractors aren't businesses in their own rights they are disguised employees,most IT contractors have the communicatiom skills of a hamster with a mouthful of peanuts and the vast majority wouldn't be able to pick up a phone and talk to directory enquiries let alone chase down their own contract.

I reckon 10-15% to get someone with the right skills to do that for you is a good investment.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by spanker View Post
        Seriously...why do contractors need agents?
        They don't.

HTH
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          They don't.

HTH
          They do
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I'm just amazed that I've been a contractor for 20 years, and this is the first time the question has ever been asked.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They don't.

Managed 2 or 3 good direct contracts. Lazy HR departments are as much to blame as agents. Don't waste my time with them now, go straight to the MD.

Fact of life. There are always going to be people living off others for basic survival, kind of like legalised benefit cheats.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Because contractors aren't businesses in their own rights they are disguised employees,most IT contractors have the communicatiom skills of a hamster with a mouthful of peanuts and the vast majority wouldn't be able to pick up a phone and talk to directory enquiries let alone chase down their own contract.

I reckon 10-15% to get someone with the right skills to do that for you is a good investment.
                I agree.

From a practical point of view, most contractors do behave day-to-day like employees.

The point is, chasing clients is time consuming and can be costly, and it requires certain skills that most contractors do not have much of. Doing it while you are still carrying out an existing contract is a pain in the bum.

Comment

Whilst agents may be required to connect contractor with client what I find baffling is why the contract should be three way client -> agent -> contractor. What does the client get out of it ?
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I agree.

From a practical point of view, most contractors do behave day-to-day like employees.

The point is, chasing clients is time consuming and can be costly, and it requires certain skills that most contractors do not have much of. Doing it while you are still carrying out an existing contract is a pain in the bum.

That's why I'm a freelancer!
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X