• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harperson proposes sexual discrimination in the workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Yes, the woman is bonkers, but the fact remains that, despite all the advances of the 20th Century, women are still far less likely to occupy senior positions (in any business) than men.

Why is this?

Is this because women can't do the job? Well, I don't believe so, and I don't think most people believe so (although no doubt there's a few on this board that disagree.)

Or should we dig out examples of women who have done it and say "if they can, then there is no problem". Again, no, they are the exception.

So we have to look at the way things have evolved over the last 150 years, from a patriarchal society defining rules and roles in a way that more easily allowed men to succeed than women. The long working hours, putting work before family culture is not female friendly. Whilst many inequalities have been levelled out, for women to succeed they have to conform to the male-centric systems that evolved when men were in charge. Just look at parliament - the jeering and heckling - not what most of us would consider ladylike behaviour. Same with the cut and thrust of the board room - women are admired professionally when they have 'balls' (and if they have a good pair of breasts, all the better).

Until women are properly valued for the contribution they make as women, and the environment is more encouraging in allowing women to succeed whilst still having time out to raise families, we're unlikely to see true equality.
    I think women have better things to do than to compete with men in the workplace
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 26 June 2011, 14:00.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I think women have better things to do than to compete with men in the workplace
      On a purely pilosophical level, when it comes to the way women have been treated and repressed, I find it very difficult to look them in the eye ....mmmmm..breasts

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Unfortunately we just have to put up with them instead

Equality in the workplace is all well and good until women in general stop whining and start proving their worth. Having worked in the city for many years, yes there is sexism, and general tulipty comments, but ignore it and get on with it. If you bail out and decide to sue then it just puts the rest of us back where we started. I know people should not have to put up that sort of behaviour but that's the industry for you.
        Last edited by norrahe; 26 June 2011, 18:14.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Equality in the workplace is all well and good until women in general stop whining and start proving their worth. Having worked in the city for many years, yes there is sexism, and general tulipty comments, but ignore it and get on with it. If you bail out and decide to sue then it just puts the rest of us back where we started. I know people should have to put up that sort of behaviour but that's the industry for you.
          well said Norrahe

mmmmmmm....big uns

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            well said Norrahe

mmmmmmm....big uns

Big guns?????
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              What exactly is an 'arch-feminist'?
              One that makes money out of being a feminist, and sees it more as a career than really believing in what they're saying. See climate change scientist for similar
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

"Of the two top jobs in the Labour party, one must be a woman, one a man", would be more acceptable.

I mean, the leader will need someone to bring him his tea.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  "Of the two top jobs in the Labour party, one must be a woman, one a man", would be more acceptable.

I mean, the leader will need someone to bring him his BJ.
                  FTFY
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    ow ow
                    i'm being repressed

Now we're seeing the violence inherent in the system!

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Equality in the workplace is all well and good until women in general stop whining and start proving their worth. Having worked in the city for many years, yes there is sexism, and general tulipty comments, but ignore it and get on with it. If you bail out and decide to sue then it just puts the rest of us back where we started. I know people should not have to put up that sort of behaviour but that's the industry for you.

But that's the point. Women should not have to prove their worth any more than men should. Why is it we (men and women) view female traits as negative? No-one wants their son to be described as 'a bit girly' but it's fine to say your daughter is a tom-boy - more than fine, it's a positive characteristic. Nothing wrong with a bit of banter, but it's the underlying, deeply ingrained attitudes that need changing. Agree that sueing is rarely the answer, but to dimiss women as 'whining' isn't doing any of us any favours.

Comment

Working...
                      X