• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone watch that Evan Davis Made in Britain show last night?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I know UK built Nissans used to go for a premium in Japan.
    A high premium or a low premium? We're talking Sunderland here.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      A high premium or a low premium? We're talking Sunderland here.
      High. The Japanese don't care about toys in their cars as they get destroyed by their equivalent of the MOT and so higher spec Micra's were built in Sunderland and exported back.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        High. The Japanese don't care about toys in their cars as they get destroyed by their equivalent of the MOT and so higher spec Micra's were built in Sunderland and exported back.
        Why would anyone ever consider a Micra? I once had one as a rental vehicle whilst on a jolly....er I mean business trip...to the Isle of Man. Another guy and I decided to go round the TT Course in said Micra.
        We'd have been quicker pinching a Tesco trolley and taking it in turns to push each other. And it would probably have been less embarrassing too.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Why would anyone ever consider a Micra? I once had one as a rental vehicle whilst on a jolly....er I mean business trip...to the Isle of Man. Another guy and I decided to go round the TT Course in said Micra.
          We'd have been quicker pinching a Tesco trolley and taking it in turns to push each other. And it would probably have been less embarrassing too.
          Have you seen how much a Nissan Figaro is still worth. And all that is is a 1990 Micra with a full bodykit (it even has the crappier engine).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            But their premium product was a folding bike, which while well engineered and constructed, is still a folding bike. A series of tubes and stuff which ultimately could be put together, possibly not as well, but a whole lot cheaper.

He seemed really smug the bike chap. As though it couldn't happen to his product! Well if we can make cars by robot I'm guessing a bike can't be too hard!

The other point that old Evan made which bugged me was about Tata and land Rover. So we make the things here, providing jobs etc in the UK while using their R&D money. But where do the profits go? Not here that's for sure!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Do the Beeb have some kind of deal with the military or is there some expenses scam where their presenters can claim 'travel costs' when making a documentary? Just about every tom dick and harry who makes a show these days get a spin in a jet, from the bloke with the rubbery lips who bangs on about hadron coliders to Evan 'face for radio' Davies. Having said that, I think the footage of Jeremy Clarkson puking in an F15 was worth every penny of my license fee.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Fine, but the Chinese aren't stupid. What happens when they pinch the "small, high value sectors" too?
                They won't be cheap any more.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  Yes it was their track - Felt he completely missed the point in the show. i.e. it's ok to let China have our volume manufacturing so long as we keep the small very high value sectors. Although he did touch on the fact that our manufacturing sector is far too small to sustain us.
                  That's exactly what they said in the 1960's about the UK motorcycle industry. In 1967 BSA was still the world's 2nd largest motorcycle maker, behind Honda. Less than 3 years later it was bankrupt.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Manufacturing in this country is brand and geographically driven, the former is places like Aston Martin, Linn Hi Fi which will sell on the name and the latter is making things with work intensive mass production where the transporation cost of the final product outweighs the total cost to the total cost to the consumer (jap car plants in the north being the prime example).

Over the last 15 years we have sold off our bulk of brand manufacturing...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                      But their premium product was a folding bike, which while well engineered and constructed, is still a folding bike. A series of tubes and stuff which ultimately could be put together, possibly not as well, but a whole lot cheaper.

He seemed really smug the bike chap. As though it couldn't happen to his product! Well if we can make cars by robot I'm guessing a bike can't be too hard!
                      You're missing the point, apparently they're 'de rigueur' for the city gent commuter.

If they were made in India or China the brand would lose its appeal.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X