• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mystery of the killer cucumbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I make my own bean sprouts at home, easiest thing to do really.
    Ms doodab makes her own e. coli
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's Spanish Cucumbers
      Hang on, it's not Spanish cucumbers, it's German beans sprouts
      No, wait, wait, it's not German beans sprouts it's...........

E coli outbreak: bean sprouts may not be to blame | World news | The Guardian
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So, we are back to complete cluelessness.

What random food should we blame next? Anyone have a suggestion?

Or maybe the E coli is in the air
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Isn't it about time we blamed the French?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            So, we are back to complete cluelessness.

What random food should we blame next? Anyone have a suggestion?

Or maybe the E coli is in the air
            As I said, the only other place this E coli strain has ever been found is Korea.

Bean sprouts are the most likely culprit, as they are grown in tepid water. So maybe it was a batch imported from SE Asia.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well in my little Asia imbiss bude last night I had fried noodles, prawns and bean sprouts and only had to poo twice afterwards (I actually work not too far from where the outbreak is thought to have started) so maybe its not bean sprouts. Tonight I might go for a salad
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Well in my little Asia imbiss bude last night I had fried noodles, prawns and bean sprouts and only had to poo twice afterwards (I actually work not too far from where the outbreak is thought to have started) so maybe its not bean sprouts. Tonight I might go for a salad
                I was about to say killer salads are safe when cooked, but now I'm not sure. It appears the E. coli O104 bacteria, which is normally harmless in the gut, has picked up some DNA that allows it to produce a toxic protein called Shiga:

This protein is a defence mechanism used by other bugs with whom E. coli O104 has had bacteria sex with. The Shiga toxin is a million times more toxic than Strychnine and I seem to be getting mixed messages about its heat resistance, e.g. at pasteurisation temperatures, at which temperature spores survive, which is why pasteurised milk does go off when spores hatch. No doubt cooking reduces risk greatly though.

Comment

This bad boy is E. coli's worst nightmare:

No, it's not not an Apollo moon lander, it's a Enterobacteria phage T4 and it destroys E. coli in 30 minutes, although most of that time involves producing 300 new moon landers prior to bursting E. coli open. Not sure if this one eats the E. coli O104 strain though.

Comment

Working...
                  X