• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you work on a 'traffic surveillance' project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I would.
    I need to earn enough money to pay the fines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Just got an e-mail from an agent I know well and don't completely distrust. Looking for a test manager to start part time and go full time later this year on a project implementing digital speed cameras and a central control room, and gathering registration plates of all cars passing a camera.

Would you?

I don't think I will.
      See no reason why not. I'd rather the system worked if it's going to be done.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        You obviously have never broken any laws. You also presume that the camera has been correctly calibrated in the factory, correctly fitted with the sensors in the road put in the correct place under the road and then calibrated on site and the distance markings have been painted at the correct distance; in fact many of them are not.
        Yes I have broken the law, including speeding, I took a concious decision to speed and I would have accepted the punishment if caught. I could always not have chosen to speed, just like everyone else who gets caught by a speed camera, if they were obaying the law they would not be fined?!

I struggle to see the argument?!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Yes I have broken the law, including speeding, I took a concious decision to speed and I would have accepted the punishment if caught. I could always not have chosen to speed, just like everyone else who gets caught by a speed camera, if they were obaying the law they would not be fined?!

Me too, perhaps it's something to do with your spelling.

After reading your post I thought you were trolling. Perhaps my opinion is tainted because I think you're a twat.

Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            I won't work for online gambling companies, whatever the rate.
            What's your reasoning for this stance?

Comment

Me too, perhaps it's something to do with your spelling.

After reading your post I thought you were trolling. Perhaps my opinion is tainted because I think you're a twat.

Oh well.
              Nope not trolling, this time anyway, I am genuinely a fan of speed cameras. If the police could invent a way that catches muggers in the act and punishes them automatically with minimal effort of actual officers it would be seen as the greatest achievement in policing since the glazed donut.

People are anti speed camera because its a law most disagree with, fight to get the law changed rather than fight to get rid of speed cameras.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If it's illegal or immoral just charge more.

That was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I won't work for online gambling companies, whatever the rate.
                I assume this is a moral choice? Is there such a thing as a wholly ethical company though?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  What's your reasoning for this stance?
                  It just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Let me be clear; I don't object to punishment of traffic offences. I do object to the growth of surveillance against citizens, and the culture of zero tolerance which involves punishing people for tiny mistakes where a short chat with a policeman might be more effective and less damaging to relations.

The project goes further than speeding; it involves automatic registration of number plates, regardless of speeding; the decision of whether someone's speeding and gets a fine comes later. I don't like this idea of registering everyone, guilty or innocent.

Add to that a less principled objection; speed cameras are very unpopular in Holland and a real bugbear, especially among the ranks of stressed out account managers, middle managers and project managers who decide on whether I get hired in as a test manager. Therefore it's perhaps not such a great thing for future contracts to have it on my CV.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Let me be clear; I don't object to punishment of traffic offences. I do object to the growth of surveillance against citizens, and the culture of zero tolerance which involves punishing people for tiny mistakes where a short chat with a policeman might be more effective and less damaging to relations.

The project goes further than speeding; it involves automatic registration of number plates, regardless of speeding; the decision of whether someone's speeding and gets a fine comes later. I don't like this idea of registering everyone, guilty or innocent.

Add to that a less principled objection; speed cameras are very unpopular in Holland and a real bugbear, especially among the ranks of stressed out account managers, middle managers and project managers who decide on whether I get hired in as a test manager. Therefore it's perhaps not such a great thing for future contracts to have it on my CV.
                      On the other hand the ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system that has been installed in West Yorkshire (basically any car coming into the county on the M62, M1 or A1 is tagged) helped track down the movements of the 7/7 Bombers.

Comment

Working...
                      X