• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you work on a 'traffic surveillance' project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd do it. No question. Interesting project.

I'd also make sure that I coded in a rule for my own car that excluded it from the resulting speeding report while also adding a rule that added 20 mph to the actual speed of anyone with a personalised number plate or fluffy dice.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I'd do it. No question. Interesting project.

I'd also make sure that I coded in a rule for my own car that excluded it from the resulting speeding report while also adding a rule that added 20 mph to the actual speed of anyone with a personalised number plate or fluffy dice.
      Whats worse, someone who pays £2-3k for a proper personalised plate, or the cheap skate with a bog standard number plate that they use black tape to make look like something else?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

EO I don't think the cameras will force you do drive at 30 and plough into children. It's a good line for the judge if you fancied taking out some chavs but I doubt they will go for it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I think the primary objective is to catch the people breaking the law?

So what if they are being used to raise money? People are shouting out that the police are underfunded as it is so why not penalise people who are breaking the law.

The thing I have most umbridge about is your last comment

This is where my earlier comment comes into play, if you object to the law fight it, not the speed cameras.
          You are so naïve. The speed cameras are run by a so called “safety camera partnerships”. These are run by private companies and they get about 30% of the revenue. The fines are then administered by the police who also outsource it to a private company. Unsurprisingly the “safety camera partnership” in Hampshire is owned by a County Councillor and ex chief constable.

You remind me of the collaborators in the Channel Islands during WWII who reported escaped prisoners because "it was the law".
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            You are so naïve. The speed cameras are run by a so called “safety camera partnerships”. These are run by private companies and they get about 30% of the revenue. The fines are then administered by the police who also outsource it to a private company. Unsurprisingly the “safety camera partnership” in Hampshire is owned by a County Councillor and ex chief constable.

You remind me of the collaborators in the Channel Islands during WWII who reported escaped prisoners because "it was the law".
            Well said Paddy.

Comment

Presumably testing a system like that involves tear-arsing around town at breakneck speed in a souped-up Cosworth and making sure you get logged in all the right places. Sounds like a top lark. Go for it.

Comment

If you have a moral objection to it, don't do it. Be true to yourself, something else will come along. I turned down work at the Molins plant in the late 80's. I didn't want to be part of the tobacco industry. I'd do it again today.
                Last edited by wobbegong; 27 May 2011, 07:33.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

You sure about that? Do you have a link, I would imagine not as its total tuplip, SCP are not privately run, in the example you gave Hampshire the fines are admisitered inhouse Hampshire Constabulary: Central Ticket Office all be it with Civilian Employees rather than Police Officers, which you must agree is a better idea than have a £30k a year bobby stuck behind a desk

Did you just quote Godwins Law?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    surely the whole point is that the cameras take the judgement out of the situation.
                    It becomes black and white, right or wrong.
                    I can cite a thousand ocasions when the law said '70 is ok' and my common sense said 'do 50'
                    and a thousand times when the law said 'no more than 70' and my common sense said 'do 90'

have you ever driven down a road where the law says 30, and you can see toddlers running around chasing a foot ball?

if you stuck to 30 and killed one, would the camera fans be happy ?

of course not. so we have to use our common sense at one end of the scale, but not at the money making end of the scale

mmmmmmm
                    Spot on.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                      For the record, PLEASE don't put speed camers on the Cat and Fiddle.....

Have you been up the Cat 'n Fiddle recently???

I used to ride up there every weekend but its now all those average speed cameras that track you over the route so you cant just slow down for the cameras themselves. rode it last weekend, is rubbish now.

Comment

Working...
                      X