• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eternalnomad
    My humanity and the personal freedoms our ancestors fought hard for and won so that I could live in a free and fair country.
    Looks like they failed miserably then.

Comment

I seem to recall that Maradonna used to have a fake willy filled with a friends wee so that he would be able to pass a drugs test.
      Nomad, can I suggest that you have a hollow tooth fitted and filled with Chicos spit. Then when the Police ask you for a sample, hey presto, Chico takes the rap.

How long will it be before a micarriage occurs because someone elses cells were swabbed from a gob. Dont snog yer gf just before she goes out on a job

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Man jailed for Ripper deception

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4828828.stm

"His identity was discovered 25 years later when his DNA, taken after a minor offence, was matched against saliva on an envelope sent to detectives. "

I dont want to get into a debate about the stupidty of what this fella did (arguably indirectly costing the lives of an extra couple of women through his actions) but what does concern me is the use of DNA evidence the coppers took after a minor offence.

It cannot be right that DNA samples are taken after a minor offence and stored in a database to be used forever more.

They will be taking DNA samples at birth next.
        There is quite a pervasive argument for doing this - within a century you would have a complete profile of the population, if everyone was recorded would you object so strongly... if your daughter was raped would you be bothered so much if the database caught the perpetrator? -

Also as someone else mentioned the blood test at birth would provide the mechanism for doing so, & it’s only a matter of time before they ask for a DNA sample for the new ID card so I think there will be no getting away from it

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
          Looks like they failed miserably then.
          Actually, I dont think they did Churchill.

I think the failure rests with our parents and our own generation for becoming incredibly passive to the increasing powers of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by maximus
            There is quite a pervasive argument for doing this - within a century you would have a complete profile of the population, if everyone was recorded would you object so strongly...
            Yes I do, the reason being that by extension they would attempt to link certain genes or gene clusters with a higher probability of becoming "undesirable" citizens.

Comment

The main problem with DNA evidence at the moment is there is too much confidence in it. Samples can easily be planted at the scene of a crime, samples can be swapped or tampered with in the lab or digital records compromised. Besides the fact that when samples have been degraded by environmental factors the expert witnesses often over-state the probability of a match.

This development is an open door to corruption.

Comment

Interestingly (or not) I witnessed a car versus bicycles accident this morning. (My perception was the car thought they could use the cycle lane to overtake on the inside, bad news for the two cyclists in front of me.)

Anyways, by doing the boy-scout thing, I ended up sprayed liberally with blood, which I have now washed off my jacket.

But a thought went through my head whilst reading this thread: even though my jacket cleaned off well enough so you couldn't see the blood I had better throw it away and buy a new one, 'cause you just never know, one day I may well be a suspect for something and my jacket will be presented as evidence ... "yes, there was a blood residue, and it had been washed off." with a knowing leer to the jury.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

From twowolves comment, I think this is not just a possibility but a certainty, example is a case up in Scotland to do with fingerprints: Shirley McKie
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Actually, I dont think they did Churchill.

I think the failure rests with our parents and our own generation for becoming incredibly passive to the increasing powers of the state.

When was serfdom abolished in this country?

Do you think we're living in a democracy?

Comment

Yes I do, the reason being that by extension they would attempt to link certain genes or gene clusters with a higher probability of becoming "undesirable" citizens.
                      Perhaps they would then use that information to influence immigration policy!!

Comment

Working...
                      X