• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    From twowolves comment, I think this is not just a possibility but a certainty, example is a case up in Scotland to do with fingerprints: Shirley McKie
    With the authorities stubbornly defending the fingerprint service and maintaining that there is no need to change anything, despite this:

American expert Pat Wertheim ... said: "The SCRO prepared a series of three charts in this case and from the first to the second to the third they progressively cropped and removed detail from the crime scene mark. Finally on the third chart they went to a smudged fingerprint of Shirley McKie's that obliterated even more of the detail that didn't match."
    and punishing an expert who said otherwise

Eventually they will pass a law saying that anything the authorities do is right even if it's wrong. Or maybe they won't need a law, a ministerial order will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      When was serfdom abolished in this country?

Do you think we're living in a democracy?
      About the 17th century I would say - when was the last time you were sold with a piece of land ?

With the current election process I would say no, we dont live in a true democracy.

However, what I would claim is that England used to balance the power of the state with personal freedoms in a far more reasonable way.

NL have and will continue to destroy that fine balance under the banner of "protection against terrorism"

Comment

Originally posted by maximus
        Perhaps they would then use that information to influence immigration policy!!
        Perhaps they would, but we can all predict the total shambles that further tampering by this government would produce.

Maybe they could even sterilise certain children at birth if they had genes which showed they were going to be "disabled" in later life or carried genes that could lead to disabled offspring.

The definition of what "disabled" actually means could be varied according to political aims at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Around about the time of the Black Death: there weren't enough serfs left to go around & they demanded better wages etc.
          ... and the good ones went freelance to get a better deal. So the church believed the consultancy guilds who said they could outsource it for a tenth of the price: hence the centuries-long gaps between start and completion time for many European cathedrals.

Comment

How long will it be before a micarriage occurs because someone elses cells were swabbed from a gob. Dont snog yer gf just before she goes out on a job
            Or give a bloke a blowjob in Islington Men's toilets - Chico
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
              Or as the LA cop said to George Michael, No, it is a gun in my pocket.

Comment

Is that the voice of bitter experience there chico?

Originally posted by Board Game Geek

And are you upset about being knocked off the number 1 spot?
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  ... and the good ones went freelance to get a better deal. So the church believed the consultancy guilds who said they could outsource it for a tenth of the price: hence the centuries-long gaps between start and completion time for many European cathedrals.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Around about the time of the Black Death: there weren't enough serfs left to go around & they demanded better wages etc.
                    Sounds about right, but technically feudal tenure wasn't abolished until 1925 in England (and Wales?), and not until 2000 in Scotland.

Talking about DNA sampling, the Government are always on the lookout for "magic bullets". But their reliance on DNA will be sadly short-lived, as there are now computer-controlled machines which can churn it out like spaghetti and it's only a matter of time before some enterprising rogue biochemist starts making and selling "DNA confetti", with samples indistinguishable from the real thing from a thousand or even a million people which crooks can simply spray all over crime scenes to obliterate their own DNA!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I know all too well that DNA is the current 'hot babe' of the Police. When my car was broken into not that long ago I suggested to the Police that they might like to take fingerprints of the items that were moved within the car but not actually stolen.

The answer was 'Nah, they'll only bother if there's the possibly of a DNA trace'

So there we have it guys and gals. The bottom is quickly falling out of the glove market. It seems fingerprints aren't worth bothering about anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X