• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eternalnomad
    Perhaps they would, but we can all predict the total shambles that further tampering by this government would produce.

Maybe they could even sterilise certain children at birth if they had genes which showed they were going to be "disabled" in later life or carried genes that could lead to disabled offspring.

The definition of what "disabled" actually means could be varied according to political aims at the time.
    That's quite a leap to get from databases for solving crime to Eugenics, but we do already practice a form of Eugenics with amniocentesis testing during the early stages of pregnancy - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Comment

Does anyone watch CSI? These guys can get your DNA by just looking at you now!
      Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

In real life I have read studies where they try and infer certain markers by looking at you, and in others, going the other way, they can try and infer your surname from your DNA.

My favourite, that I keep mentioning, is if you like pictures of trees, forests that kinda thing, you're more likely to have a Germanic or Scandinavia background and if you find them scarey then you're more likely to be southern European.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I have a fear of birds, but I hear that you like a cockatoo

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I do appear to have built up a collection of them. Blessed things, two year old children given wings and a combination ice pick, file, tin snips with which to set out and destroy.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              In real life I have read studies where they try and infer certain markers by looking at you, and in others, going the other way, they can try and infer your surname from your DNA.

My favourite, that I keep mentioning, is if you like pictures of trees, forests that kinda thing, you're more likely to have a Germanic or Scandinavia background and if you find them scarey then you're more likely to be southern European.
              Yes, I have heard it said that it's a better predictor than eye colour. But is it genetic? I should have thought cultural.

Comment

Perhaps it will get to the stage where we have Time Cops (like Minority Report I guess) who jump ahead, check out the news of crimes, then jump back and stop them happening.

Eg....Following a review of the natural lifestream of Mr X, we can see that :

Age 5 : Pulled the wings off a butterfly
                Age 9 : Hit his sister in a sibling fight
                Age 13: Had his 1st cigarette
                Age 17: Sprayed a wall with graffit
                Age 21: Got drunk and smashed a shop window
                Age 27: Was paid too much change in a shop and didn't hand it back
                Age 32: Dodged a fare on a train
                Age 43: Kicked a dog
                Age 45: etc, etc

Based on this report, we can see that Mr X is a lifetime serial offender, and as such, recommend that the foetus be terminated, or prior to that, the parents be sterilised, or prior to that the grandparents being shot, or prior to that...ad infiniteum
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                X