• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    It's all come out of bonds and I'm deciding what to do. Re-invest or BTL. 5 years are the best returns but it's still 5%. Not sure if a BTL in London with increasing rents over 5 years and a possible capital gain is risky or not risky.
    If I were you I would seek advice from sources other than this forum, I wouldn't invest nearly half a million based on the advice here.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Cough, don't want to brag but I'm going to, my 1st let house is 0.49% above base
      Similar here, except the house was dirt-cheap anyway; interest-only mortgage is £61/month, let out for £400/month.

It would be no mortgage, so it's a pure return basis.

Does 400k buy anything in a decent place though in London?
      Oh, it's an imaginary purchase . From half-remembered property shows £400k will get a decent family home, certainly something you can let happily.

Originally posted by russell View Post
      If I were you I would seek advice from sources other than this forum, I wouldn't invest nearly half a million based on the advice here.
      This creates a paradox since your advice is not to take your advice.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Similar here, except the house was dirt-cheap anyway; interest-only mortgage is £61/month, let out for £400/month.

Oh, it's an imaginary purchase . From half-remembered property shows £400k will get a decent family home, certainly something you can let happily.

This creates a paradox since your advice is not to take your advice.
        Good point, I would seek the advice of an IFA though. Im sure we are all armchair investors but do we really know what we are doing?

Comment

Cough.

That's a bit defeatist, now is a great time to buy, if you have cash you can get a great deal on auctions from all the plonkers who took 105% mortgages, by the time next year comes Interest rates will have risen which will squeeze even more of them into repossession. Also potential first time buyers have to rent as they can't afford 25% deposit that is required = demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Cough.

Comment

It would be no mortgage, so it's a pure return basis.

Purpose built or victorian conversion.

Reckon you could manage a 2 or perhaps small 3 bed in Finsbury park.

Depends where you go.

I rented in Finsbury Park for 2 years at 1300 per month for a nice 2 bed flat.

We looked at buying a small 3 bed across the road in a victorian conversion, basement flat, £400k!!, ended up buying a big 4 bed house in Tottenham for the same money. As I say depends where you want to be.

Try this findaproperty
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Depends where you look. Prime zone 1 stuff is probably out of the question although you might find a few in the less nice places like Bermondsey. Personally I would look at nicer areas in zone 2-3 with good transport links.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yeah MF what do you consider to be 'London'?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've been mulling getting back into the BTL market for some time now, but can't be fooked with the hassle.
                    I would look into buying a flat (one or two bed) walking distance from the City. As there is a limited supply of such flats, they will always keep their value (or at least there's no propect of a big fall any time soon).

When I was doing BTL that was my strategy, but then I bought for less than £200K

The point is whether you can make a decent return after expenses. You'd have to do your sums.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It's all come out of bonds and I'm deciding what to do. Re-invest or BTL. 5 years are the best returns but it's still 5%. Not sure if a BTL in London with increasing rents over 5 years and a possible capital gain is risky or not risky.
                      I wouldn't bank on increasing rents, my missus has 3 of them and all three have seen the rent fall over the last couple of years.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X