• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Interest rates would make me very nervous unless of course buying with a small or zero mortgage. If they jump up to 5% you could find yourself with a property you can't sell and can't cover the costs for.

The problem as I see it is loads of properties were bought before the prices boomed, on mortgages which are now at 1.5%. You can't compete since you have to pay more and can't get such a low mortgage rate.
    That's a bit defeatist, now is a great time to buy, if you have cash you can get a great deal on auctions from all the plonkers who took 105% mortgages, by the time next year comes Interest rates will have risen which will squeeze even more of them into repossession. Also potential first time buyers have to rent as they can't afford 25% deposit that is required = demand.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Cough, don't want to brag but I'm going to, my 1st let house is 0.49% above base

Comment

Tinned food, shotguns, water.

And an underground bunker big enough to rent out rooms.

You'll be abe to charge top dollar when the apocalypse comes.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          An offset account too! So I can borrow back the cash from the mortgage already paid off by the tenant at a massive 0.9% apr.

I should learn to gamble on the stock market but that's just not me.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Tinned food, shotguns, water.
            Don't forget fuel and batteries...

Comment

Cough, don't want to brag but I'm going to, my 1st let house is 0.49% above base
              So is mine at 0.48. Offset. Brilliant.

I'm trying to decide whether pulling a chunk of it
              Down and investing in a London BTL is a good idea?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I should learn to gamble on the stock market but that's just not me.
                I think you should do it. You'll take all those City types to the cleaners.

And hopefully you'll earn so much that you won't be able to relate yourself to mere mortals here on CUK (zeity excluded).

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  So is mine at 0.48. Offset. Brilliant.

I'm trying to decide whether pulling a chunk of it
                  Down and investing in a London BTL is a good idea?
                  If only I had a crystal ball I'd might match your move but something inside is telling me, patience, patience.

If you do, it's the best yield through rent you're after. Forget making a decent profit from sale that's ten years away.

Our idea instead, for the moment, is to use the cash for the offsprings education when that time comes.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I think you should do it. You'll take all those City types to the cleaners.

And hopefully you'll earn so much that you won't be able to relate yourself to mere mortals here on CUK (zeity excluded).

Massive amounts of cash does not really do it for me. Shocker. I'm comfortable as I am.

If those I know are happy then I'm happy.

Comment

If only I had a crystal ball I'd might match your move but something inside is telling me, patience, patience.

If you do, it's the best yield through rent you're after. Forget making a decent profit from sale that's ten years away.

Our idea instead, for the moment, is to use the cash for the offsprings education when that time comes.
                      It's all come out of bonds and I'm deciding what to do. Re-invest or BTL. 5 years are the best returns but it's still 5%. Not sure if a BTL in London with increasing rents over 5 years and a possible capital gain is risky or not risky.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X