• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greece WILL default on its debts ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    BBC News - Eurozone ministers back 130bn-euro bailout for Greece

Isn't that a default in all but name? I don't think this is the last of it, the Greeks have got the money for now but am sure another crisis for them will be just around the corner. And now, with the money in hand, can't they just turn around anyway and tell Europe to "do one"? They have £110Bn in loans but if they can't pay it back then what will Europe be able to do if Greece decide now (or in 12 months time) to walk away?
    No no, out trustworthy politicians have told us the writedown is entirely voluntary - then it is not a default.
    plonkers - the politicians, that is.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

What the EU is trying to do is kick the tin can down the road, hoping for a smaller tin can after each bail out until there is no problem to deal with. Unfortunately that depends on Greece recovering. It won't recover whilst it is still in the EU - the sums just don't work.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        It certainly is, just packaged to look good.

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Unfortunately that depends on Greece recovering. It won't recover whilst it is still in the EU
        - the sums just don't work.
        And there's the crux of the matter. Austerity is killing the patient. Those continentals have never understood economics.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          What the EU is trying to do is kick the tin can down the road, hoping for a smaller tin can after each bail out until there is no problem to deal with. Unfortunately that depends on Greece recovering. It won't recover whilst it is still in the EU - the sums just don't work.
          Its a shame its a snowball that they are kicking and the ground is covered in snow.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Debt crisis and Greek bond swap: live - Telegraph

20.55 After a marathon seven-hour meeting, the International Swaps & Derivatives Association (ISDA) tonight dramatically declared a "credit event had occurred" and billions of euros of credit default insurance will have to be paid out. The credit default swap (CDS) market is opaque but analysts estimate the ruling will cost European banks around €3.5bn. Even so, bankers were relieved by the decision – the opposite call could have undermined investor confidence in the entire CDS market.

Comment

Greece is in default. It is the same as someone borrowing from the bank, paying the interest by borrowing from a credit card, paying the credit card via a loan shark but not paying back the loan shark and instead giving him a post-it note with an IOU on it
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Debt crisis and Greek bond swap: live - Telegraph

20.55 After a marathon seven-hour meeting, the International Swaps & Derivatives Association (ISDA) tonight dramatically declared a "credit event had occurred" and billions of euros of credit default insurance will have to be paid out. The credit default swap (CDS) market is opaque but analysts estimate the ruling will cost European banks around €3.5bn. Even so, bankers were relieved by the decision – the opposite call could have undermined investor confidence in the entire CDS market.

Mother of all netting sessions next week, then.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Greece is in default. It is the same as someone borrowing from the bank, paying the interest by borrowing from a credit card, paying the credit card via a loan shark but not paying back the loan shark and instead giving him a post-it note with an IOU on it
                  That is a debt spiral, but it isn't a default. They seem to have avoided default by getting their creditor agreement.

But we'll see in a few months when they've got to go through all this again.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    That is a debt spiral, but it isn't a default. They seem to have avoided default by getting their creditor agreement.

But we'll see in a few months when they've got to go through all this again.
                    So if I send an IOU to my bank, I am not in default?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      So if I send an IOU to my bank, I am not in default?
                      No. My bank has an IOU from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X