• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce lawyer who understands contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There used to be “promise to love honour and obey”.

Not only obey went out the window but also honour.

The Law in the UK is out of date and favours women.

Eg. In a marriage, regardless of children a wife has a choice of not working and staying at home, having a career or even a hobby job or hobby loss making business. The man is expected to work. If he does not work; the wife can divorce him for neglect.

In divorce, the wife is advised not to work and to claim from her husband for the rest of her life even if there has been a 50/50 split.

One of my sisters has never done a day’s work in her life but after going through two husbands; she has a very nice house and income for the rest of her life. Her ex-husband has nothing.
    Have to agree with Paddy the law is very biased on the part of the wife and unfairly so.

Marriage may be a partnership but after 6 years the OPs wife wants some cash it seems for the sake of it. If they had been married for say 20 years and she had given up work to look after children, then yes she should be entitled to something. Why do people have to get greedy when divorce comes to the fore.

Have to say I have a tarnished view on the whole marriage ideal as I ended up supporting someone who couldn't be bothered to get a job, I then ended up being made redundant and used all my savings just to pay the mortgage while I was trying to get another job, thankfully I got one just as my savings had run out. The ex however still hadn't bothered getting a job.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I would love nothing more than to stay at home and look after the kids while the missus went out to work. Of course as my missus only ever earned 20k per year in her job it would be financial suicide.

As mentioned above, it seems the man as higher paid breadwinner (in most cases) is forced to go out to work, stress and earlier death while women get to stay at home and watch Cash in the Attic and then a court gives then half! WTF!!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Why do people have to get greedy when divorce comes to the fore.
        Solicitors.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Agree with Paddy and norrahe: for instance, despite both working, her solicitors tried to claim a future loss of high income to leverage a maintenance payment from me. Cost me thousands to fight that when logic and law should have dismissed that outright.

The marital laws in the UK are an anachronism and are solely for the benefit of the law industry which is why I will not contemplate doing so ever again unless there are significant changes.

I urge anyone to dismiss the fairy tale trinkets of marriage and look into the the pernicous legal side of it before blindly uttering "I do".
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

'...all worldly goods I thee endow...' - this is church nonsense obviously written before accessible credit existed.

should be '...all my worldly goods, debt, mortgage payments & bills... now do you want to proceed with the assumtion that both men and women have the ability to work and work according to their needs?'

I work less and even lesser now we have 2 kids so I can be with the kids whilst they are little.

My wife works part time but she would like to fund a lifestyle one notch up from the Jones's.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Why do people have to get greedy when divorce comes to the fore.
              Well, they don't exactly divorce because they still love each other! By that time at least one party hates the other a LOT, and probably both!

That's why prenup should not only be legal but compulsory signed documents in the register.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Oh AtW, you're such a romantic!
                I am a realist...

Don't worry I won't appear rude to my future wife by demanding her to sign prenup, I'll leave that to my solicitor

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I am a realist...

Don't worry I won't appear rude to my future wife by demanding her to sign prenup, I'll leave that to my solicitor
                  I'd make sure that the sofa is excluded in the pre-nup
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Everything is pooled in and divided 50:50. So if you sold your flat to pay for the deposit in your house before the marriage, you cannot ask for that to be exempt from the "pot".

To be honest, if people knew the state of the marital laws in this country, only the niave would marry.
                    What's this got to do with earnings after the divorce? If both parties are on a similar financial footing when wed, splitting 50:50 at divorce is not unreasonable, it's all the other stuff which goes on which seems to be crazy
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      I am a realist...

Oh AtW, you just haven't met the wrong woman yet. You'll give it all up in the end ...
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X