• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Marge...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Did" being the operative word.

More and more the getting the Russian gangster to rub him out approach seems best.

Comment

Hey LB,

There's definitely a case to be made. Unmarried cohabiters who contribute to the mortgage can claim a stake in the house. I'm as sure of that as a bloke-who-isn't-a-family-lawyer-but-has-a-couple-of-close-mates-who -are -and-bore-him-senseless-with-their-work-stories can be. In your sis-in-law's case, that stake is unusually easy to quantify. Drag her along to the local family solicitor's ASAP for some proper advice. There's generally legal aid to be had.

Comment

Agree with TL.

The phrase is common law wife.

She only needs to show she contributed even a small amount to claim shares in all property.

I would point this out to him and tell him you will go to court for half of everything (or even all the house) if he doesnt pay back and give back whats owed.

Comment

The phrase is common law wife.
          I think you'll find that there is no such thing anymore...

0]

Comment

I think you'll find that there is no such thing anymore
            So what is the modern phrase, I am sure the status still exists.

Comment

> So what is the modern phrase

bitch? Or is that only for fudge packers?

Comment

Nope, doesn't exist.

Comment

Nope, doesn't exist.
                  So cohabitees are no longer regarded as behaving as a married couple and treated in law accordingly?
                  Why then all the fuss about gay marriage and equality for inheritance and property shares etc?

Comment

Good Advice

She only needs to show she contributed even a small amount to claim shares in all property.
                    Crickey, I thought you could only do that sort of thing if you were married! I've been asked to have a talk with her on Wednesday but I think there is very little chance I could persuade her to get legal on his ass.

Her mother's advice: let him keep all your stuff, after all, it's not as if you need it now he's thrown you out and you're coming back to live with me. The world's gone mad!

Comment

Re: Good Advice

So cohabitees are no longer regarded as behaving as a married couple and treated in law accordingly?
                      Why then all the fuss about gay marriage and equality for inheritance and property shares etc?
                      Exactly... You want the benefits of marriage, get married!

Comment

Working...
                      X