• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The House of Lords...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, hereditary peers, a lot of rich toffs who have inherited land and titles, are somehow going to be more democratic and in touch with the ordinary people than the usual politicians? I think that's rewriting history slightly.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes.

You think an upper house filled with career politicians owing patronage to some party leader is going to be more in touch with the ordinary people than a group picked at random by accident of birth?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        Democracy is all well and good for the hoi poloi
        Hoi polloi (οι πολλοι) with 2 lambdas. Or 2 lambadas if you prefer. No need for "the" because "οι" is the definite article. And it means "the many" so it's somewhat redundant to say that democracy is for them.

HTH

Comment

Yes.

You think an upper house filled with career politicians owing patronage to some party leader is going to be more in touch with the ordinary people than a group picked at random by accident of birth?
          Lloyd George thought so.

Comment

Is that the same Lloyd George who thought it a good idea to have a separate cabinet to handle the war without reference to anyone such as the prime minister, parliament etc.?

Comment

Is that the same Lloyd George who thought it a good idea to have a separate cabinet to handle the war without reference to anyone such as the prime minister, parliament etc.?
              And to create as many peers as it took to bulldoze his plans through, yes. It's not new with NL, he was a Liberal. And don't think the Tories wouldn't have done it, but they didn't need to.

Comment

Still doesn't make it right though.

Comment

I don't want Lords elected by population as a whole - what's the point of creating a house that doesn't differ in character from the commons? The whole point of the Lords is to come at things from a different angle, to do what they think is right without caring about the opinion of anyone outside (government or voters.)

My proposal is that just before each general election MPs compete to be elected by fellow MPs to fill any seats that have fallen vacant in the Lords. If elected they have a job for life, or until officially diagnosed senile anyway. An average cross-section of MPs from all parties will do a good job if promoted to the Lords where they are free to say what they really think.

Comment

Oh, so senile members of the population don't get represented in your world view?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
                      My proposal is that just before each general election MPs compete to be elected by fellow MPs to fill any seats that have fallen vacant in the Lords. If elected they have a job for life, or until officially diagnosed senile anyway. An average cross-section of MPs from all parties will do a good job if promoted to the Lords where they are free to say what they really think.
                      A leopard does not change its spots.

Elected politicians, by definition, get where they are by not thinking for themselves. They say what people want to hear. They obey the whips. They climb the greasy pole. They always owe patronage to somebody.

And if any elected politician ever shows signs of independent thought, that they might go against the party line occasionally, how many of their party will elect them?

Comment

Working...
                      X