• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No middle name here either, nor any in my immediate family or any blood relatives, extending as far as every cousin I know, no matter how many times removed.

My parents argued that there was no need for middle names, as our names were long enough already and middle names would just waste time when writing them out.

In the earliest days of t'Internet (when they were still integrating JANET with it) I worked at an academic institute (part of a university) whose email addresses were predicated on the basis of a standard abbreviation for the institute plus three initials. It was suggested that, as I didn't have a middle initial, I should allow them to put an "x" there. I chose "u" instead, on the grounds that I couldn't immediately think of any men's names beginning with "u" but "x" suggested "Xavier" and I didn't want people thinking I was a Jesuit

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      ...I chose "u" instead, on the grounds that I couldn't immediately think of any men's names beginning with "u" but "x" suggested "Xavier" and I didn't want people finding out I was a Jesuit
      FTFY

I've two middle names, because my sisters got to choose and couldn't agree on one. It causes problems on some forms that only allow for one middle name. Or, as I have a long surname, the name field isn't long enough.

My mother on the other hand has no middle name.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I use my middle name and have all of my life. I've never been called by my first name and it's a standard name too. My folks just called me by my middle name and that was that. I've met quite a few others like this too.

It can cause confusion. Especially at gigs where they want to check your background etc. You introduce yourself as YZ and when I've produced my passport etc as XYZ they sometimes scratch their heads. I've had email set up in my first name at these type of gigs and have to get it changed as no one knows the mysterious dude XZ ..... just the weirdo YZ.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

My parents argued that there was no need for middle names, as our names were long enough already and middle names would just waste time when writing them out.
          With your surname, they could have chosen a nice impressive middle name from the Hastings Battle Rolls
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Actually the kids have two, if you include the non official double barrelling of their surname by the wife. Her sister has done the same. Both Scottish
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you're Catholic and get confirmed you can assume a new middle name on confirmation. I think it's usually supposed to be after a saint that means a lot to you etc. My cousin chose "Rene"

I didn't get confirmed, generally because religion is bollocks and the catholic church is an abhorrent, hypocritical institution that harbours paedophiles and promotes division and hatred. But that's just an aside...
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                If you're Catholic and get confirmed you can assume a new middle name on confirmation. I think it's usually supposed to be after a saint that means a lot to you etc. My cousin chose "Rene"

I didn't get confirmed, generally because religion is bollocks and the catholic church is an abhorrent, hypocritical institution that harbours paedophiles and promotes division and hatred. But that's just an aside...
                Glad to see you haven't formed any particular view on it.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Glad to see you haven't formed any particular view on it.
                  Morning! Happy Sunday
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect;1297578[B
                    ]If you're Catholic and get confirmed you can assume a new middle name on confirmation. [/B]I think it's usually supposed to be after a saint that means a lot to you etc. My cousin chose "Rene"

Oh I forgot about that, so I have 3 middle names
                    My daughter chose Ambrose for her conformation name
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                      Oh I forgot about that, so I have 3 middle names
                      My daughter chose Ambrose for her conformation name
                      Freudian slip? ;-)

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X