• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only use I've ever found for my middle name is that is makes a nice (and rather apt considering my general outlook on life) three letter word out of my initials. No prizes for guessing .

Though a friend at college had the initials 'WAR' which I thought was ace when he entered it into the arcade video games we used to play back in the good old days.

It's rare I even think of my middle name and never normally divulge it anywhere on official forms etc. Not that it's embarrassing, just don't see the point in wasting the extra time writing/typing it out.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

It would be simpler in the internet age if names were replaced by 256bit encrypted ones generated by a brain implant and changed every 20 minutes. None of this bothering with cards and pin numbers and passwords, you just stick your finger in the card machine and read out the Captcha code on your retina.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        It would be simpler in the internet age if names were replaced by 256bit encrypted ones generated by a brain implant and changed every 20 minutes. None of this bothering with cards and pin numbers and passwords, you just stick your finger in the card machine and read out the Captcha code on your retina.
        It wouldnt work.
        Can you imagine it, a moonlit summers evening, on the canal bank. trying hard to smooth talk her keks off

'oh 26273548456795758742627354845679575874679575679575 84567957587426273548456795758746795756795752627354 84567957587467984567957587467957567957584567957587 42627354845679575874679575679575262735484567957587 46'

snog snog,

'that was me mums name that was'

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A middle name makes your initials more unique. For initialling things. Such as at work or declaring undying love on trees and walls.

At work over the years I've found several people sharing my first and last initials, but few share all three. I can't remember any.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            A middle name makes your initials more unique. For initialling things. Such as at work or declaring undying love on trees and walls.

At work over the years I've found several people sharing my first and last initials, but few share all three. I can't remember any.
            1 in 26^3 chance of a duplicate (1 / 17,576), and in a group of 157 people there would be an even chance of it containing one duplicate, by my calculation. Assuming a uniform distribution of initials, with 3 initials each. So a big office floor might contain one. Chances are though as you say you'd not meet one.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
              I don't have a middle name either.

I was told off in primary school by an ignorant teacher for not having one. "Don't be stupid, everyone has a middle name.". Figure that out.
              My first primary skool teacher demonstrated her ignorance by insisting my surname was spelled differently.

Which provided me with valuable lesson - Teech is not always right.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                I use my middle name and have all of my life. I've never been called by my first name and it's a standard name too. My folks just called me by my middle name and that was that. I've met quite a few others like this too.

It can cause confusion. Especially at gigs where they want to check your background etc. You introduce yourself as YZ and when I've produced my passport etc as XYZ they sometimes scratch their heads. I've had email set up in my first name at these type of gigs and have to get it changed as no one knows the mysterious dude XZ ..... just the weirdo YZ.
                I've got some course certificates like that.

More serious was when Swiss immigration put the wrong first name into their computer for a Dutch chap, and then wouldn't correct it. As a result all his insurance policies and other contracts were invalid and he had to get them changed.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  1 in 26^3 chance of a duplicate (1 / 17,576), and in a group of 157 people there would be an even chance of it containing one duplicate, by my calculation. Assuming a uniform distribution of initials, with 3 initials each. So a big office floor might contain one. Chances are though as you say you'd not meet one.
                  False assumption. There's also the influence of what names are in vogue at the time of birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

My initials are ME, people think I'm taking the piss.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      My initials are ME, people think I'm taking the piss.
                      Hello Mark / Mike / Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X