• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hoon: ban Lords from challenging controversial Bills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's peers would be legally forbidden from challenging controversial legislation, such as the ID cards Bill and the ban on glorifying terrorism, under a radical constitutional reform proposed by Geoff Hoon.

Those who would sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither.

Benjamin Franklin

If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Central-Scrutiniser
      Doubleplusgood

The Less the Talk the more the Freedom and Democracy

We can force you to be Free

Dont you have anything more contructive to do? Like going off to the bogs for a wank?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Unable to absorb the concepts of Doublethink you respond with an ignorant insult and Sexcrime.

For your own benefit here is the concept of Doublethink.

The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. ... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies—all this is indispensably necessary.

Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink.

For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.

Therefore the less the talk the more the Freedom and Democracy.

Better get with the program Dave.

Before the program gets you.

Doubleplusgood
        If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

That would be a no then.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            That would be a no then.
            roflmao
            Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

Dont you have anything more contructive to do? Like going off to the bogs for a wank?
              He can't come in - I haven't finished yet!

This here 1978 copy of Razzle has served me well!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You've been in there since 1978? Bloody hell Bogey, you going for some sort of record

Comment

You've been in there since 1978? Bloody hell Bogey, you going for some sort of record
                  No. Of course not Dave.

I've been in and out of there thousands of times, but still with the same old copy of Razzle!

The pages are getting quite difficult to turn now, though.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

So far I've teneded to agree with Lords decisions far more often than those of the House of Commons. They may not be entirely democratic but they do a damn fine job of poking the Govt with sharp sticks whenever they get too big for their boots.
                    Have the same impression. From what I've seen it would seem in some ways that TB/NL's usual bodged reform of something (the HOL) has back-fired on him. Instead of weakening the chamber by getting rid of everyone they could, they seem to have added a spur of motivation to those left to stick up for basic principles.

My only other comment is why anyone would given consideration to the thoughts of someone like Hoon when his opinions are about as useful as those Byers/Hain et al, who along with most of NL I wouldn't trust in charge with watching paint dry...
                    Last edited by Joe Black; 6 March 2006, 21:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X