• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hoon: ban Lords from challenging controversial Bills"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    So far I've teneded to agree with Lords decisions far more often than those of the House of Commons. They may not be entirely democratic but they do a damn fine job of poking the Govt with sharp sticks whenever they get too big for their boots.
    Have the same impression. From what I've seen it would seem in some ways that TB/NL's usual bodged reform of something (the HOL) has back-fired on him. Instead of weakening the chamber by getting rid of everyone they could, they seem to have added a spur of motivation to those left to stick up for basic principles.

My only other comment is why anyone would given consideration to the thoughts of someone like Hoon when his opinions are about as useful as those Byers/Hain et al, who along with most of NL I wouldn't trust in charge with watching paint dry...
    Last edited by Joe Black; 6 March 2006, 21:08.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    You've been in there since 1978? Bloody hell Bogey, you going for some sort of record
    No. Of course not Dave.

I've been in and out of there thousands of times, but still with the same old copy of Razzle!

The pages are getting quite difficult to turn now, though.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    You've been in there since 1978? Bloody hell Bogey, you going for some sort of record

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Dont you have anything more contructive to do? Like going off to the bogs for a wank?
    He can't come in - I haven't finished yet!

This here 1978 copy of Razzle has served me well!

Leave a comment:

• Sputnik
    replied
    That would be a no then.
    roflmao

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    That would be a no then.

Leave a comment:

• Central-Scrutiniser
    replied
    Unable to absorb the concepts of Doublethink you respond with an ignorant insult and Sexcrime.

For your own benefit here is the concept of Doublethink.

The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them. ... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies—all this is indispensably necessary.

Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink.

For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.

Therefore the less the talk the more the Freedom and Democracy.

Better get with the program Dave.

Before the program gets you.

Doubleplusgood

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Central-Scrutiniser
    Doubleplusgood

The Less the Talk the more the Freedom and Democracy

We can force you to be Free

Dont you have anything more contructive to do? Like going off to the bogs for a wank?

Leave a comment:

• Central-Scrutiniser
    replied
    Britain's peers would be legally forbidden from challenging controversial legislation, such as the ID cards Bill and the ban on glorifying terrorism, under a radical constitutional reform proposed by Geoff Hoon.

Those who would sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Leave a comment:

• Central-Scrutiniser
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...icle349337.ece

"Britain's peers would be legally forbidden from challenging controversial legislation, such as the ID cards Bill and the ban on glorifying terrorism, under a radical constitutional reform proposed by Geoff Hoon. ",

nice.

Milan.

Doubleplusgood

The Less the Talk the more the Freedom and Democracy

We can force you to be Free

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    So...

Well NL seem to be a bit peeved that HOL are tossing back so many of the "reforms" that they are proposing. So they want to erode the power of the Lords?

I wonder if it slipped their mind to reflect on why they are at loggerheads with the lords?

Maybe its because they are trying to pass sh1t legislation?

How soon before monarchists are "glorifying" terrorism?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    So far I've teneded to agree with Lords decisions far more often than those of the House of Commons. They may not be entirely democratic but they do a damn fine job of poking the Govt with sharp sticks whenever they get too big for their boots.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian
    Completely agree with Hoon. They're all unelected old coffin-dodgers anyway, who are they to tell our elected officials what they can and can't pass in Parliament. Their meddling strikes at the heart of our democracy, blah blah, cue Livingstone-style rant.....
    They act as a check against people grasping power despite the fact that less than 30% of the electorate voted for them.
    Long live the Lords

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...icle349337.ece

"Britain's peers would be legally forbidden from challenging controversial legislation, such as the ID cards Bill and the ban on glorifying terrorism, under a radical constitutional reform proposed by Geoff Hoon. ",

nice.

Milan.

Completely agree with Hoon. They're all unelected old coffin-dodgers anyway, who are they to tell our elected officials what they can and can't pass in Parliament. Their meddling strikes at the heart of our democracy, blah blah, cue Livingstone-style rant.....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    It won't be much of a party from where I'm standing. Not for us anyway.
    Won't be much of a party for anyone, well apart from the apparatchiki.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X