• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on Paying Off Mortgage Vs Good Lifestyle.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Would that be the house with all the tulip seeping up through the floor boards?
    I can just imagine SB sitting on his stool outside his run down, decrepit cottage, chewing a straw, while his missus draws water from the well and his snot-nosed kids run around with the pigs and chickens.

Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Would that be the house with the extensive front drive with all the tulip seeping up through the extensive front drive?
      Problem sorted. Marginally defective Victorian Interceptor. As Old Greg said..........design feature.

Where there's muck there's brass................apparently.

Still worth more than sas's compact and bijou Lower Wandsworth Broom cupboard.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

That's because he's in the Talking Complete Bollocks Premiership League.
        Which bit of my claim do you think is bollux.
        The fact that my mortgage-free house is worth more than a £1 mill?
        And if so why do you think its bollux?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Still worth more than sas's compact and bijou Lower Wandsworth Broom cupboard.
          Wrong. Next!
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Which bit of my claim do you think is bollux.
            The fact that my mortgage-free house is worth more than a £1 mill?
            And if so why do you think its bollux?
            Your propensity for talking bollox preceding you I suppose.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              House is worth £1 million +, average for London.
              Hey sas? Which one is yours, and when did you take up the "Discounted Purchase" option?

"Vibrant Ethnic and Cultural mix"

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

"Vibrant Ethnic and Cultural mix"

Violent

Comment

Ahem, paying off the mortgage leads to it's own problems ...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-now-what.html

The point being: it never ends. So you pay off your mortgage, then what? You buy an investment property, put some money in high dividend paying stocks, or into emerging market funds, or gold or what? It never ends. There will always be someone richer than you. You'll never have enough money. It never ends. It never ends!

If it's not too much hassle, pay off most of the mortgage and then just put some away and enjoy your life. After all, that's one thing which will end one day.
                  Last edited by ChimpMaster; 1 March 2011, 16:14.

Comment

While I have been in the past accused of being a on here for it, my sig says it all.

I maintained the same level of lifestyle I had before I was a contractor and put the rest into my mortgage.

I don't like risk so having no debts really appeals to me.
                    After the mortgage I will focus on ensuring a comfortable retiral.

That said, it depends on your circumstances - I have a family to think about, if I were young free and single I would think differently.
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                      While I have been in the past accused of being a on here for it, my sig says it all.

I maintained the same level of lifestyle I had before I was a contractor and put the rest into my mortgage.

I don't like risk so having no debts really appeals to me.
                      After the mortgage I will focus on ensuring a comfortable retiral.

That said, it depends on your circumstances - I have a family to think about, if I were young free and single I would think differently.
                      Indeed.

It all depends on whether you think you will need to buy a bigger house in the future anyway, your attitude to risk, how near to retirement you think you are etc.

If you are young and living in a bedsit, but have a good income and like taking risk for big rewards it would make more sense to take any savings and buy a BTL in central London (Zone 1 if possible), taking on as big a mortgage as you can.

With unrest around the world growing, the rich are going to be looking at buying hard assets like property in safe places. You can't get safer than London for your assets.

If you are nearer retirement age, already have a big house and a not likely to move, like to sleep at night, pay off the mortgage. With any spare cash buy gold and shares in oil producers and food producers etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X