• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on Paying Off Mortgage Vs Good Lifestyle.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Are you me?!

Contracting is perfect for this too, I'm earning more money than if I was a permie, paying off 3 times my min mortgage payment just now, plus once the mortgage is gone, I can be more choosy about contract roles, and time off.

Unless the missus wants to buy a new house....then I'm ****ed!

Don't worry, she'll just keep the current house for her and the personal coach. Not such a smart move working al those hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Stone him!
      Originally posted by landl View Post
      How bad could it be?
      Hmmm, the little tiny stones will probably just sting a bit; you have to hope you get knocked out quickly so you don't feel it.

Top tip for people facing death by stoning; your brain copes quite well with impacts from the front or back, but if you're hit on the side of the head you're likely to lose consciousness as the two halves of your brain split apart from the sideways motion. Hence, try to turn your head to face the stoners side on!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I stand corrected

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Hmmm, the little tiny stones will probably just sting a bit; you have to hope you get knocked out quickly so you don't feel it.

Top tip for people facing death by stoning; your brain copes quite well with impacts from the front or back, but if you're hit on the side of the head you're likely to lose consciousness as the two halves of your brain split apart from the sideways motion. Hence, try to turn your head to face the stoners side on!
        I just thought, I'm a bit bored, let's see what the chap has to say. Little did I know that his secret to paying off a mortgage early was to try and sell us something. Have to admire the brazenness of it though...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          It all here in my new ebook, now available on Amazon.

Simple Principles to Become a Millionaire eBook: Alex Lluch: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Enter "ILovePrawn" in the voucher box at the checkout for a limited time 15% discount on the list price.
          I initially read the cover as "Author of over 3 million books".

Comment

Here's a top tip for becoming a millionaire.

Buy £39 worth of Vitenam đồngs, or take your pick from any of these more pricey ways of becoming overnight millionaire.

Least valued currency unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
              I'd like to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Here's a top tip for becoming a millionaire.

Buy £39 worth of Vitenam đồngs, or take your pick from any of these more pricey ways of becoming overnight millionaire.

Least valued currency unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                You can't beat being long on the dong!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  There's no doubt at all in my mind, suffer now and relax later.

I know its better to enjoy life while you have your youth and stuff, and while your kids are young, but on balance, I think paying off your debts early is the way to go.

when I was about your age, i knocked up a little spreadsheet with a few scenarios. When I saw the difference in overall spendies, it was a no brainer.

I'm with EO Dad here :-)

Crissy,

it's all about assets, and your gaff and those motors are not assets.

I won't elaborate, you can do your own research.

Milan.

Comment

I've taken the view that it's better to pay things off sooner in the hope of a more relaxed lifestyle later.

Clearly I'm not in Sasguru's league but I'm 42 with £25k left on my mortgage, albeit on a modest 3 bedroom house. My investments are diversified.

When the opportunity has arisen I've travelled; as some of my elders have advised, that can get problematic with age. It's a question of striking the right balance.

Comment

Where's the "Keep paying the mortgage normally, don't spend all your cash on having a good time and build up some assets with a view to becoming financially free" option?

Oh it's not a poll

And I see AP already brought up the Kiyosaki thing..

That's what I'm doing.. Mortgage payments are currently about £220/month on an £80k loan - I'll put my surplus cash into the markets and property until I don't have to work - then pay it off in a few chunks. Whilst having a good time as well

I see so many people who earn less than me driving around in shiny BMWs (they don't own) looking down on my crappy 10 year old Honda - they need to play Cashflow 101
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X