• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on Paying Off Mortgage Vs Good Lifestyle.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    I know everyone has their own opinion on what's best, being mortgage free or having a good lifestyle. My situation was that two years ago, I decided to sell my old house, nice detached house c. £200K with small £40K mortgage, and could've paid it off in a few years and be mortgage free by early 40's. Then I decided to buy some land, build a house, get a £120K mortgage but have a house worth probably £450K now. But for me, I am more interested in enjoying life, that maybe owning a couple of nice cars, getting involved in an expensive motorsport hobby, having holidays etc rather than knuckling down and paying it off. I guess I could pay this one off in < 10 years but all of my pleasures would be out of the window. My thoughts are if I can have it settled by 50-ish then that would suit me, and maybe move abroard then.

What's everyones thoughts on this, and what drives you to get it paid off earlier (apart from the interest saving) ?
    Read "Rich dad, poor dad" what are you going to live on when you are abroad?
    Read some of the stories of people who have done what you are planning, didn't work out for most of them.

Because they made lots of assumptions:
    Sterling would remain at the same exchange rate
    Inflations would not increase higher than their pensions
    Property would increase in value abroad at the same rate as the UK.
    They would never want to come back to the UK.
    Overseas property would be easy to sell, at a higher price than the bought it at and they could recover the cost of the ridiculous over-spend on decorating, pool, BBQ etc.

I think it's funny that people have these ideas on how they are going to spend the rest of their life, without any research.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Be smart - don't even have mortgage in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Be smart - don't even have mortgage in the first place
        Yes, much better to pay off someones elses by renting instead.

Comment

Anyone want my opinion?

Comment

Well?

Comment

Go on then

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Anyone want my opinion?
              I'd like to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                I'd like to hear it.
                Stone him!
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                  I'd like to hear it.
                  It all here in my new ebook, now available on Amazon.

Simple Principles to Become a Millionaire eBook: Alex Lluch: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Enter "ILovePrawn" in the voucher box at the checkout for a limited time 15% discount on the list price.

Comment

How bad could it be?

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Stone him!
                    How bad could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                      For me its a balance, I really want to pay my mortgage off asap so I can either retire early or not have to worry about being in constant work all the time and mainly just know if any major tulip happens in my life thats one major outgoing I don't have to cover but I don't want to pile so much in that I can't enjoy and make the most of 'the now' in case I get run over by a bus tomorrow!

I could if I piled all my cash into my mortgage have it paid off in 4 years but I'm choosing to pay a substantial amount off each month/end of fixed term rate but leaving enough behind to put in savings so I can have my holidays and a nice car on the drive and no major money worries for general everyday things.
                      Are you me?!

Contracting is perfect for this too, I'm earning more money than if I was a permie, paying off 3 times my min mortgage payment just now, plus once the mortgage is gone, I can be more choosy about contract roles, and time off.

Unless the missus wants to buy a new house....then I'm ****ed!

Comment

Working...
                      X