• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on Paying Off Mortgage Vs Good Lifestyle.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
    I've taken the view that it's better to pay things off sooner in the hope of a more relaxed lifestyle later.

Clearly I'm not in Sasguru's league but I'm 42 with £25k left on my mortgage, albeit on a modest 3 bedroom house. My investments are diversified.

When the opportunity has arisen I've travelled; as some of my elders have advised, that can get problematic with age. It's a question of striking the right balance.
    That's because he's in the Talking Complete Bollocks Premiership League.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      That's because he's in the Talking Complete Bollocks Premiership League.
      But you will admit to a tiny crush on him.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
        Clearly I'm not in Sasguru's league

And don't forget the "Eco-Shed" round the back that houses his virtual motorbike collection too..........

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Answer is to do both. I would be chucking some at the mortgage, a decent chunk into assets that start generating returns while I sleep and make sure you have some to enjoy yourself on the way through...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            Answer is to do both. I would be chucking some at the mortgage, a decent chunk into assets that start generating returns while I sleep and make sure you have some to enjoy yourself on the way through...
            How boringly sensible. Next you'll be telling us to diversify our investments and that the value of investments may fall as well as rise and that past performance is no indicator of future valuation.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              How boringly sensible. Next you'll be telling us to diversify our investments and that the value of investments may fall as well as rise and that past performance is no indicator of future valuation.
              Ok then - go long crude until it tops out then short it all the way down.

Kiwi longs are looking quite interesting as well
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Course you have sas. Course you have.

Now tell him about your fleet of virtual motorbikes too and really blow his socks off!!

Oi poor boy, we know you're a winker.
                There's no need to sign off as one.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Oi poor boy
                  I'll take my 6-bed detached thatched cottage with its Devon sea views over your terraced tuliphole in some downmarket Laaandern crime-ridden suburb anyday.

If that makes me "poor" in your book, so be it. You never were one for recognising the difference between quality and cost price anyway.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    I'll take my 6-bed detached thatched cottage with its Devon sea views over your terraced tuliphole in some downmarket Laaandern crime-ridden suburb anyday.
                    If that makes me "poor" in your book, so be it. You never were one for recognising the difference between quality and cost price anyway.

Would that be the house with all the shit: seeping up through the floor boards?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Would that be the house with all the tulip seeping up through the floor boards?
                      Oi, that's a design feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X