• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We'd like to offer you a perm job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oh FFS, you contractors - it's a great complement saying that you are good enough to join glorious permiedom, if you are mad to decline it at least make it clear that you appreciate the offer.
    Why?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Why?
      Because they are your client.
      You should do all you can to butter up your client, because it raises the possibility of higher rates and better contracts.

On a related note, has anyone ever been offered a permie job that really did pay more than the contract equivalent? And did they turn it down because they preferred the freedom of contracting?

Comment

Every single ClientCo I've worked for has offered me a perm position. Every single one...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          WHS, I had one this week "We're paying £65k a year, plus........ a car!". Bloggs replies - "I'm billing 220 days a year at £650 a day, do the sums." Harsh but true.
          If that's the way you think contracting works, billing full-time with no gaps, of course.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If that's the way you think contracting works, billing full-time with no gaps, of course.
            True, but it has for the last 8 years (7 contracts), I see little reason for things to change significantly. To be totally fair, where I am from, £65k is actually considered a mega salary.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I left my last perm role at end of 2009 and was on 89k basic with 15% bonus and shares.

I would now only go back into perm for a very senior management or directors role.

I have a prelimnary offer for a role starting at the begin of 2012 in the USA. I plan to contract all this year and if all works out i plan to head off stateside
              next year.

Time will tell.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                I love how the permie managers think they are doing you a big favour by offering the poor contractor a permie role.
                I was thinking the exact same when I was reading the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  That is how it works! Since day 1 of my first contract almost 5 years ago I've had about 70 working days where I couldn't bill
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Oh FFS, you contractors - it's a great complement saying that you are good enough to join glorious permiedom, if you are mad to decline it at least make it clear that you appreciate the offer.
                    agreed, I was offered a perm role recently and wouldn't have dreamed of a) taking it or b) being rude or disparaging about the offer
                    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                      agreed, I was offered a perm role recently and wouldn't have dreamed of a) taking it or b) being rude or disparaging about the offer
                      Like a News of the World reporter I made my excuses and left.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X