• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live8 - the music

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live8 - the music

Is it just me or is the UK the best place for innovative, intelligent music? Why did the American stuff sound like bland innofensive pap (honourable mention for Greenday though, and certainly snoop dogg was pretty offensive (at the same time as being dull, bland, mediocre and massively un-entertaining)) in comparison to (most) UK stuff?
    Is it just because America is so big that to break it you can't be radical. (Is this also why most european music is bland pop-pap?)

Discuss, abuse chico or Bob Geldof, whatever.

Is it just because America is so big that to break it you can't be radical.
    There's plenty of great American stuff that is radical and is big. Just wasn't on show at live8.

Comment

lets abuse dundee today

just kidding..... from what I saw the event in Philadelphia seemed to rock more than the Hyde Park one. Jay Z, Linkin park, Black Eye Peas, Will Smith etc that rocked. From the brief snippets of what I saw off the Hyde Park gig lying in my hotel room on saturday night, only Mariah Carey seemed to be on top form. I remember falling asleep when Pink Floyd came on.

Comment

Examples of world-famous bands who are both radical and american?

Comment

Re: lets abuse dundee today

Black Eye Peas
          :rollin

I caught 5 mins of them - they were appalling!

The rest I didn't bother with - what a sorry line up of has-beens.

Glastonbury last weekend was different class.

Comment

LOL

Is it just me or is the UK the best place for innovative, intelligent music?

Who? Annie Lennox, Elton John or Stink?

who exactly was innovative and british on the list? all I saw were dinosaurs and MOR/AOR eighties throwbacks

Examples of world-famous bands who are both radical and american?
            The White Stripes
            Rage Against the Machine
            The Stooges
            Jimi Hendrix Experience
            The Velvet Underground
            The Pixies
            NIN
            Nirvana
            etc.
            etc.

Now name any british band who you think were innovative and I'll name the american band who they copied

Comment

System of a Down are 100 times more radical than anything in the UK. Not too keen on the latest album but the one before was a classic.. UK Bands are either of the Coldplay/Keane/Snow Patrol mellow sub U2 type or the post punk imitators, i.e. Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight etc. Hardly radical

Comment

Examples of world-famous bands who are both radical and american
                Around just now:

New(ish) ones: White Stripes, The Strokes, The Killers. Counless numbers of non world famous bands who are relatively big in the US but not here.
                Established: Chilli Peppers, REM, Green Day, Goldfinger, bucketloads of hip hop acts

Need I go on - easy to be UK centric when you live here and only get exposed to local talent but there are great bands in every country in the world, who just doesn't get global very often.

Comment

Linkin park? Will Smith? Black eyed peas?
                  Spare me the PC-cred, they were rubbish.
                  (OK ok taste is personal, but really! Will Smith. I don't think so.)

Comment

Both US and UK line up were with few exceptions the worst of AOR/MOR tulipe. Annie Lennox WTF has she done of note in the last 20 years?

Comment

Working...
                    X