• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Live8 - the music

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Live8 - the music"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Dont know exactly what happened but yes, while he was sat with his back to the crowd he jumped up and you distinctly hear him say "ouch thet HURT"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I didn’t see this myself, so perhaps one of you can confirm. When clown king Robbie Williams left the stage to go and receive the adoration of the audience he momentarily sat down with his back to the crowd barrier. As he did so, some quick thinking punter reached over and yanked a clump of his hair out.:lol

Wonder how much it will go for on ebay.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Now name any british band who you think were innovative and I'll name the american band who they copied
    The Beatles

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: lets abuse dundee today

Yeah that's a fair point NSW.
    And Snaw is probably also correct in that the better music doesn't always make it to these shores (and even it does get here it doesn't always reach the audience it deserves)
    And also Live8 was pretty well geared towards those who were BIG bands to target the big audience....

I still however take the view that hip-hop and rap is utterly ******* tedious noise produced by over-ego-ed talentless wasters (hey I'm entitled to my opinion!).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Way to much of live8 London was Bob's contemporises, many of whom who have not been seen in years (and some like Elton should have remained unseen and I swear Madonna was miming)

US seemed to be more geared towards this generation’s music which in my mind was a lot more appropriate (even though a lot of it I do not like)

As to UK vs US music, they defiantly have lots of top and cutting edge music, but just like they don't get to hear much of the UK's top music (they probably think the spice girls is the best uk has managed in years) we don't get to hear much of their top music.

Music execs generally don't risk the cost of international promotions for "Cutting edge","modern","Different" for obvious reasons

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You asked for bands making it big - how many british bands around now can you name who can't be slated in some way as being derivative of something previous - very few.

You've obviously got blinkers on when it comes to US music, thing is there is plenty of great stuff over there and if you like music then the only loser is yourself if you want to be blinkered to what there is. You'd probably have missed the DK's with that attitude. 8)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

New(ish) ones: White Stripes, The Strokes, The Killers. Counless numbers of non world famous bands who are relatively big in the US but not here.
    Established: Chilli Peppers, REM, Green Day, Goldfinger, bucketloads of hip hop acts

Hip-hop, don't make me laugh, derivative pap.
    White stripes are hugely innovative (presuming you slept between 1972 and 1999 of course);
    the Killers could yet become a great band; the chilli peppers, the strokes, whooyeah, it's almost like 70's rock (and not great 70's rock at that).

(I may be slightly biased of course, since I believe America should have stopped producing records after the DK's split up anyway).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I though Mariah was so kind to plug her new single as well>:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I loathe Mariah Carey/Houston/Dion types for starting the vocal aerobatics style of singing i.e. if you can't hit the high note just warble up and down around it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

She oversings everything and seems to think that everybody is impressed at how loud she can sing things.
    I thought that was Whitney Houston :lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Did Chico really say Mariah was good"

I'd knock the @rse off her but so long as she promised not to sing. She oversings everything and seems to think that everybody is impressed at how loud she can sing things.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: LOL

Examples of world-famous bands who are both radical and american?
    The Doors.
    Bob Dylan (not exactly a band, I know).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Didn't realise it was a new breaking talent concert Numpty

I thought it was a decent mix of old and new personally. Could have had maybe a few more young and emerging acts imo but the older guys still got the magic (Well apart form Elton).

Did Chico really say Mariah was good?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Both US and UK line up were with few exceptions the worst of AOR/MOR tulipe. Annie Lennox WTF has she done of note in the last 20 years?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Linkin park? Will Smith? Black eyed peas?
    Spare me the PC-cred, they were rubbish.
    (OK ok taste is personal, but really! Will Smith. I don't think so.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X