• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crime in your area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beeb News In a message on the microblogging website Twitter, the Home Office said: "Hugely popular streetlevel crime maps getting 75,000 hits per minute so you might experience delays. Keep trying."
    Yes, now I can´t help feeling that if the problem is too many users at a time then the final part of that sentence is rather asking for trouble.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Yes, now I can´t help feeling that if the problem is too many users at a time then the final part of that sentence is rather asking for trouble.

Comment

It does seem a bit like they organised a DDOS attack on their own site

Comment

Right. JUst got back, turned out someone had unplugged the router.

Should be working now. Enjoy.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            So they should have seen it coming and either scaled for it or designed it to cope or had the sense to trickle the media message instead of sending a press release to the Beeb.

This has happened before with these public sector web sites so it is no secret it was going to happen. They are idiots. But since they are a marketing firm, not IT, it is not surprising they fukced up.
            It happens with virtually every site that gets mentioned on live TV or radio, it's not good engineering to spec the servers to cope with 1 million users if that only happens once, it would cost a load more.
            Keeping it less public would have been the only realistic option but then as soon as the media find it they might go ahead anyway.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It happens with virtually every site that gets mentioned on live TV or radio, it's not good engineering to spec the servers to cope with 1 million users if that only happens once, it would cost a load more.
              Since it happens every time a site like this does the news rounds would it not be prudent, especially for an organisation as large as the police/home office to start off with a lot of capacity and then remove redundant servers as the usage drops.
              Those servers can be then re-used for other projects, thus negating the hardware cost.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's working smoothly today for me. 1 day of being broken is hardly a big deal.

Speaking of which, for my postcode:
                • All crime and ASB 117
                • Burglary 9
                • Anti-social behaviour 0
                • Robbery 2
                • Vehicle crime 4
                • Violent crime 26
                • Other crime 76
                That's the middle-class place we moved to. Eeek.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My van incident is there! I'm famous!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

3 murders near me last month.

I don't remember doing three.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Only one in my village. More crimes in the next village, but that's to be expected with pikies on their doorstep.

They've had an "Other crime" in School Lane. I wonder what the crime was?

Comment

Working...
                      X