• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuff people eat with chips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never heard of mayo on chips before. It sounds a bit weird.

Comment

Ask for salt 'n' vinegar to be put on chips at the chip shop and when you get them home add more vinegar, then salt. I disagree with the notion that chips can't be eaten without vinegar. Chips can be eaten with just salt on [the rare] condition the chips are nice and crispy. I sometimes pause for thought before bathing my chips in vinegar because that can turn them mushy. But I do like vinegar.

Does anyone else admit to having an occasional quaff of vinegar on it's own? It really gets the juices flowing, but requires a water chaser. Similarly a solution of salt and vinegar licked off a plate tastes lovely, though this delicacy is probably a health hazard, not least for the teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        I've been living under a stone, apparently. Or maybe it's got something to do with having only been north of Gloucester once but one of the guys from work I went out with tonight asked for chips with GRAVY (!) in the chip shop. Gravy? That's just wrong IMO. I might strech to curry sauce once in a while but for me chips are to be served in a waxed paper cone with a big dollop of mayo dumped on top.

What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well, this is Bath we're taliing about.

There aint no vinegar. Salt normally goes before the mayo, though very occassionally I skip the mayo and have a sprinking of cinammon.
          There are so many things wrong with this sentence I don't even know where to start.

Weirdest I ever saw was Chips n' Cheese

Comment

I've always had mayo with chips when I've been to Germany.

I'm sure the chippies round here will do curry sauce or gravy on your chips. Not that I've ever asked, sounds horrible.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Weirdest I ever saw was Chips n' Cheese
              This was a student staple round our way but it looked awful.

Proper chip shop curry sauce is acceptable but if you are having plain chips you have to put the vinegar on first, otherwise you wash the salt off. And you have to have a can of Vimto.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I'm partial to a battered sausage.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Battered haggis up here, wonderful.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Occupational hazard of cage fighting?

Comment

one of the guys from work I went out with tonight asked for chips with GRAVY (!) in the chip shop. Gravy? That's just wrong IMO.
                      Remarkably, Mrs RC, myself and the lady putting us up had this very converation last night. She had never heard of having chips with gravy until this last week. I cannot recall a time when chips served at home did not come with gravy.

Me: "So what do you have with burger & chips?"
                      Her: "Salad"

Me: "Sausage and chips?"
                      Her: "Beans"

Me: "Steak and chips?"
                      Her: "Horseradish"

Me: "Steak pie and chips?"
                      Her: "Why would you serve potato with a pie?"
                      Me: "Because it is what God intended when he invented the steak pie and chip butty."
                      Her: "I'd forgotten about you and your 'butties'."

Me "Suet pudding and chips?"
                      Her: "Custard? And no chips?"

Me "Faggots and chips?"
                      Her: "Now you're just being silly."

Me: "Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and chips"
                      Her: "It should be boiled vegetables with beef, not chips"

However, she has never lived north of Wimbledon, and is a bit posh.

chips are to be served in a waxed paper cone with a big dollop of mayo dumped on top.
                      A filthy Belgian practice.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X