• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thermostat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Probably.
    I've added a fan that blows over the radiator to increase the thermal transfer rate.

It appears to work rather well.
    Would that be one with a heating element in it??

Oh, and not forgetting that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperatures between the Rad and the air.

So tell your SWMBO that the colder it is, the faster it warms up......

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.
      Why aren't they called convectionators then?

Comment

Actually, there is a reason that the missus may be correct, although not for the reason she thinks.

When the temperature at the thermostat hits the setting, the heating switches off. The cold walls floor and ceiling etc, will absorb heat. As the temperature at the thermostat falls, the heating will kick in again. This will happen frequently, until the walls floor and ceiling etc have warmed up a bit.

Setting the thermostat higher will reduce the number of times it goes off and on.

see my peer reviewed paper on anthropgenic roomal warming.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.
          I know, that's why I qualified which type of heating would be improved
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes, but the air itself is heated by radiation.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

It's not a fair test. With your hand above the radiator you're measuring the entire surface area (both surfaces) of the radiator below your hand, whereas with your hand measuring radiation, only the area under your hand (mostly). A fairer test would be a hand above and below a radiator twisted horizontal with the floor, which could cause flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Yes, but the air itself is heated by radiation.
                Conduction, actually.

The radiator transfers heat to its surroundings by conduction and radiation; it is transported further by convection.

It conducts heat into the air that touches it, which rises and circulates through convection.

It radiates infra-red which heats furniture / carpets / you but passes through the air without any significant warming of the air. Air is fairly transparent to infra-red.

Painting the radiator matt black makes it more like a perfect black body which can radiate heat very efficiently. Painting it gloss white makes it more like a perfect white body which radiates no heat.

The more paint on the radiator, the greater the barrier to the heat being conducted so it warms the surrounding air more slowly. Umpteen layers of paint on a radiator (like you get in student digs and hotels) does a good job of insulating the radiator and preventing it from warming the air.

We paint radiators white because people think that looks better. Painting them a teak or oak colour or something else that matches the furnishings would make more sense.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Conduction, actually.

The radiator transfers heat to its surroundings by conduction and radiation; it is transported further by convection.

It conducts heat into the air that touches it, which rises and circulates through convection.

It radiates infra-red which heats furniture / carpets / you but passes through the air without any significant warming of the air. Air is fairly transparent to infra-red.

Painting the radiator matt black makes it more like a perfect black body which can radiate heat very efficiently. Painting it gloss white makes it more like a perfect white body which radiates no heat.

The more paint on the radiator, the greater the barrier to the heat being conducted so it warms the surrounding air more slowly. Umpteen layers of paint on a radiator (like you get in student digs and hotels) does a good job of insulating the radiator and preventing it from warming the air.

We paint radiators white because people think that looks better. Painting them a teak or oak colour or something else that matches the furnishings would make more sense.
                  Quite. And air is also a poor conductor of heat. Best would be to paint the radiators black and paint the walls and furniture white, or wrap them in foil. You could be toasty warm in a cold room.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Actually, there is a reason that the missus may be correct, although not for the reason she thinks.

When the temperature at the thermostat hits the setting, the heating switches off. The cold walls floor and ceiling etc, will absorb heat. As the temperature at the thermostat falls, the heating will kick in again. This will happen frequently, until the walls floor and ceiling etc have warmed up a bit.

Setting the thermostat higher will reduce the number of times it goes off and on.

see my peer reviewed paper on anthropgenic roomal warming.

Good point. I stand corrected. I suppose I'm morally bound to admit this to her
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Calm down.

She'll never know if you don't tell her.
                      phew. he nearly let the side down there.

pat her on the head, slap her bum gently, and say 'there there'

they love that

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X