• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Thermostat

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thermostat"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Anyway, have you tried bleeding the radiators.
    It doesn't work

honest

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Our washing machine shook itself to bits, because of the centrifugal forces. I explained to the missus that the load has to evenly distributed. She insisted it had been. But if it had been, it wouldnt had shaken itself to bits. No, it was definately balanced evenly.
    ok , lets get a new machine, if it starts making loud noises, switch it off and give me a shout. ok.

Our washing machine shook itself to bits

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Every woman I know alters the heating and radio controls in a totally random way at all times. The pinnacle was the Kiwi who couldn't understand why her car was always misted up despite switching to recirculate every time she got in (no aircon on her car).

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    No. Sounds just like my missus, very bright but oddly illogical on practical things.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I think that the use of the heating, ventilation and a/c should be part of the driving test. I see countless expensive cars with misted up windows because the drivers can’t work out the clear the windows.
    It was a part of my test, but that wasn't in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    She will sense it.
    hmmmm. tricky. an empath

always the blooming worst they are.

that rules out condecension, lying, dark arts , misdirection and chocolates

damn those empaths

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Calm down.

She'll never know if you don't tell her.
    She will sense it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    phew. he nearly let the side down there.

pat her on the head, slap her bum gently, and say 'there there'

they love that

The Daily Mash - WOMEN DOING THEIR BEST

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Calm down.

She'll never know if you don't tell her.
    phew. he nearly let the side down there.

pat her on the head, slap her bum gently, and say 'there there'

they love that

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Actually, there is a reason that the missus may be correct, although not for the reason she thinks.

When the temperature at the thermostat hits the setting, the heating switches off. The cold walls floor and ceiling etc, will absorb heat. As the temperature at the thermostat falls, the heating will kick in again. This will happen frequently, until the walls floor and ceiling etc have warmed up a bit.

Setting the thermostat higher will reduce the number of times it goes off and on.

see my peer reviewed paper on anthropgenic roomal warming.

Good point. I stand corrected. I suppose I'm morally bound to admit this to her

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Conduction, actually.

The radiator transfers heat to its surroundings by conduction and radiation; it is transported further by convection.

It conducts heat into the air that touches it, which rises and circulates through convection.

It radiates infra-red which heats furniture / carpets / you but passes through the air without any significant warming of the air. Air is fairly transparent to infra-red.

Painting the radiator matt black makes it more like a perfect black body which can radiate heat very efficiently. Painting it gloss white makes it more like a perfect white body which radiates no heat.

The more paint on the radiator, the greater the barrier to the heat being conducted so it warms the surrounding air more slowly. Umpteen layers of paint on a radiator (like you get in student digs and hotels) does a good job of insulating the radiator and preventing it from warming the air.

We paint radiators white because people think that looks better. Painting them a teak or oak colour or something else that matches the furnishings would make more sense.
    Quite. And air is also a poor conductor of heat. Best would be to paint the radiators black and paint the walls and furniture white, or wrap them in foil. You could be toasty warm in a cold room.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Yes, but the air itself is heated by radiation.
    Conduction, actually.

The radiator transfers heat to its surroundings by conduction and radiation; it is transported further by convection.

It conducts heat into the air that touches it, which rises and circulates through convection.

It radiates infra-red which heats furniture / carpets / you but passes through the air without any significant warming of the air. Air is fairly transparent to infra-red.

Painting the radiator matt black makes it more like a perfect black body which can radiate heat very efficiently. Painting it gloss white makes it more like a perfect white body which radiates no heat.

The more paint on the radiator, the greater the barrier to the heat being conducted so it warms the surrounding air more slowly. Umpteen layers of paint on a radiator (like you get in student digs and hotels) does a good job of insulating the radiator and preventing it from warming the air.

We paint radiators white because people think that looks better. Painting them a teak or oak colour or something else that matches the furnishings would make more sense.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's not a fair test. With your hand above the radiator you're measuring the entire surface area (both surfaces) of the radiator below your hand, whereas with your hand measuring radiation, only the area under your hand (mostly). A fairer test would be a hand above and below a radiator twisted horizontal with the floor, which could cause flooding.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.
    Yes, but the air itself is heated by radiation.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.
    I know, that's why I qualified which type of heating would be improved

Leave a comment:

Working...
X